PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seitz55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
Here are some pics of my new pipe and a new brand of tobacco. This is my first Corn Cob pipe and I noticed it has a white tube in the stem, does this stay in the pipe or does it have to be removed?

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I have 2 Cobbs and they are awesome! If you are a filter smoker, you can use the grabow filters and smoke that way or just remove them altogether.
Have fun!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You might want to try the pipe with and without the filter, both in terms of filtering, and how it smokes

either way. You may know that MM cobs come in both filtered and unfiltered versions, but you can smoke

the filtered without the filters; I think it has a more open draw that way, which you may like or not. You

can't beat an MM cob. Great price, great smoke, great tradition. They're made in Washington, Missouri,

just west of St. Louis.

lordape

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2013
Give it a go with and without and decide. Everyone has their own opinions, you've got to work out what works for you :D

One suggestion though is with MM especially, the draw is quite wide without the filter so be sure to go extra gentle when puffing away least you get a mouthful of ash.

seitz55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
Thanks for the advise guys, it smoked great with out the filter. :puffpipe:

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Only reason I don't smoke cobs is 1) I don't like smoking wood at the end of the bowl and 2) I don't like smoking glue which you can see at the bottom of the bowls holding the stems.
Seems poisonous to me. Wish they were made or designed differently.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Cobs are great and I have 5 that I smoke and another 7 on hand for my poker friends to use if choose to have one during poker night. I've got a General, 5th Avenue, Diplomat, Legend and Washington. They're all great smokers and I prefer to use the filters. Since the draft hole is fairly large bits of tobacco can easily be drawn into the mouth which I hate, so the filter works great for avoiding that.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I make my own cobs and sell them here where I live. I do an "all natural" approach due to people having issues with plaster, glue and lacquer. The smoking experience with my home made ones is pretty awesome. But, you must smoke them slower and the potential of them not lasting as long as a Missouri Meer is high, so I guess thats why they have stuck with the way they do things...

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Cobs are good starter pipes, an inexpensive way to build a bit of a rotation, and, they smoke so nice that even after you get some "nicer" pipes you'll find yourself with an urge to smoke your cobs. I've splurged and added "forever" stems to mine.
Now, I've got the urge to fill up a cob with some Wal-Hall.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I'm a big cob fan and join in just to say that cobs are a great all-day pipe for those who smoke all day and are usually outside, dirty, on the road, etc. in any situation where you don't want to risk an expensive briar, you can light up a cob and be assured a great smoke. I've got a half dozen, all Country Gents, and they get a lot of use. Add a Forever Stem and you've got as good a day-time smoke as a guy could ask for.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I have never owned nor smoked a cob, but I keep reading everyone's MM posts and find myself becoming more and more curious to see if I am missing out. I have nothing but briar -and one POS Medico brylon- so I haven't felt too inclined to check one out yet.

wingsfan

Lurker
Jun 29, 2013
I picked one up last week after I had a stem break on one of my briars and I really enjoy it. when I first looked at them I though they were too unfinished and I didn't like how the stem came in the bowl, but after getting one I am sure there are more to follow.

mike73

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2013
Being new to pipe smoking (within the last year) I have five briars to my collection. I finally broke down and picked up a bag of 10 MM to help with my rotation. I was rather surprised at how well these pipes smoke. I bought the bag two weeks ago and have not picked up a briar since. Sadly I would have to save up a good bit to go out a buy a decent pipe with the way my finances are currently. These bad boys allow me to fill my TAD and enjoy the hobby. I am still collecting briar but these are becoming my everyday smokers. I would highly suggest this route to new folks wanting to explore the hobby.

dennisfbird

Lurker
Aug 25, 2013
You can take out the filter and cut it in half. This will prevent ashes from coming up the stem but will still allow a smooth draw..... It is recommended that the filter be changed after 10 pipefuls..... I usually wait until the draw becomes restricted, but that's because I'm lazy.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Grats on your cob!
I love them for a nice change of pace, especially when I'm grilling or smoking. I really like the rough unfinished ones.
Following a nod from a member here, I have a few unsmoked ones I'm keeping on hand for company who'd like to try a pipe when they visit.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I think every pipe smoker should have a few MM's. I didnt mind the filter and without, I think it draws too much. I wish there was an inbetween filter.

seitz55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
It is a great smoker, I will be picking another one up for sure! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.