PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Lost Somnambulist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2021
Alabama
This is my first meerschaum and first meerschaum refurbish. The outside of the pip was grimy and the stem oxidized more green than the photo shows, but the bow was fairly clean with light build-up. A few spots of meer were showing through the darkened edge of the rim as well, though are darkening again after a couple of long slow bowls.
For something I thought I could do without, this has turned out to be a great pipe.
Before
20220801_170323A.jpg
After
20220803_054532A.jpg

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Looks fantastic mate!

Those pipes were African meerschaum and I don’t think they color much at all, at least nothing like the bright white Turkish meers. Most were that ivory color to begin with and will stay like that for ages. Many were “fumed” to have that faded from black look around the bowl and not the result of smoking them. I’ve seen them dyed in burgundy and brown colors too (mine is burgundy). Great pipes and great cleanup!!

Lost Somnambulist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2021
Alabama
Looks fantastic mate!

Those pipes were African meerschaum and I don’t think they color much at all, at least nothing like the bright white Turkish meers. Most were that ivory color to begin with and will stay like that for ages. Many were “fumed” to have that faded from black look around the bowl and not the result of smoking them. I’ve seen them dyed in burgundy and brown colors too (mine is burgundy). Great pipes and great cleanup!!
Thanks! I've been trying to read everything I can find so I get to know this pipe better so thanks for sharing your experience. I sort of like the ivory or off-white color better, just fits better with me for some reason. Something that really surprised me is just how good of a smoker this pipe is.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Here's its brother. Good smoker...

Ml5XF6E.jpg

Lost Somnambulist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2021
Alabama
what a pugly pipe (pugly is something ugly but in a weirdly charming and pleasing way, like a pug).
I have to agree! In fact, when I saw it I said, "man that's kinda ugly, imma take it home!" There is no elegance of briar grain patterns to admire but after cleaning it up and smoking it a few times, it's won me over like an ugly pug. Some things just have an indescribable charm.

• Haha
Reactions: anotherbob

woodrow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 28, 2018
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
Looks fantastic mate!

Correct. I’ve managed to grab a couple of African Meers over time. They don’t color. The best way to clean is a toothbrush and 99% iso alcohol. They’re very durable and almost all have a push/pull stem. I like them a lot. Sometimes you can get one for $100.

Reactions: verporchting