PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seamusjft

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2012
Well so far in my 34 years, circumstance and money have prevented me from having a lads holiday. This corner of the earth (uk) young men travel to places like Ibiza, Magaloof or Amsterdam for mad clubbing and fornication! Well I'm beyond the thwump thwump thwump of a nightclub and the only thing I put in my pipe is quality tobacco so the usual destinations are off the cards.

To fit in with my obsession for pipes and all things tobacco, what better day than 20th feb, international pipe smoking day, to start a holiday? Nothing glamorous but to me it's going o be a scream! I'm heading to Nottingham, home of Robin Hood and my favourite tobacconist Guantleys. I'll be attending the pipe club of Nottingham which will be my first pipe club experience and my itinery for the following 3 days will consist of - visiting gauntleys every morning and choosing my smokes for the day then off to find a coffee house or pub to enjoy a bowl or two or a cigar. After a bit of lunch I'll be visiting places of historical interest or beauty. There's the obvious. Sherwood forest, home of Robin Hood . There are castles and gardens, rivers and stately homes I shall visit but my main focus will be based around the pipes, tobacco and cigars I've chosen for the day. Of an evening there is a comedy club I intend going to and a Rock venue. Both with unknown artists but I've had many a good night out with an "armature" Band or act.

So, not a holiday of excessive alcohol and women, like the tales I've heard of lads holidays. But for me it's a dream I intend to make reality!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
That sounds like a nice time - have fun (and if possible, please take lots pics and share them here!!)

yorkshirepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
My paternal family come from Nottingham and last year I was able to visit Nottingham Pipe Club (Jubilee weekend). I've known a number of them from Youtube and so was a great time! Glynn at Gauntley's is a great guy and blends some great tobacco! Sounds like a great holiday to me!

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I have my guys trip coming up this summer. Simple fishing trip in (sort of)Northern Ontario, campfires around my trailer and 6 of us with some corn cobs and Captain Black on the water. I don't even fish and I'm looking forward to it! And to teaching the boys about the joys of the pipe.

seamusjft

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2012
Number6 I will without doubt have my dslr around my neck like a true tourist and maybe I'll do a little running day by day blog

Brdavidson. Fishing is my other hobby! You'll have a fantastic time. There's something about pipe smoking and fishing that just fit perfectly. For me it's kicking back in my chair on the bank of a well matured pit at sunset. Pipe in hand watching the carp crash out of the water and the heron circling above for some dinner. Time stops for me at those moments. I don't have a care in the world and I imagine I'd have a contented grin on my face.........
Jeez got lost in a little day dream there!

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Man, hurry up summer!!! It's -20 celsius out here today so any water is completely frozen. I'm really looking forward to that trip. I think I'm going to take my 3 year old son with me one weekend just for the two of us to fish off the dock at my trailer. Create some great memories for for the wee man.

seamusjft

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2012
Brdavidson. Taking your boy most certainly will be one of those magic moments. I took my boy last summer, he was four and he absoloutly loved it! I have a photo of him on my cabinet next to me now holding his prize, a little 8oz roach, and I smile every time I look at it. I'd say fishing is one of THE best ways for man and son to bond.

Choose a lake where the action is fast and furious and you'll hold his attention long enough for him to, huh hum, get hooked!

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
That's what I hoping Seamus, unfortunately I haven't fished in over 20year's and not sure how successful I'LL be. I showed a video on YouTube of a little boy fishing and he thought it was pretty cool. Hopefully he'll have a blast.

Status
Not open for further replies.