PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

foah

Lurker
Mar 8, 2015
pointers on which pipe the first or the one with the guy that has the thin wispy childlike beard?

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
Pipe of the OP has a rustic look to it, which reminds me of a few Native Americian Indian artifacts I have seen in the museum.

Hope it functions well to give you some decent smoke.
13082048_1.jpg

clangillespie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
Ironwood Michigan
Thanks guy's it is great to hear all the approvals, it is actually pretty light for it's size, I was told that means the briar is very well aged, I made the pipe myself but not the stem, here is the final product. It smokes great, and Foha, it's on ebay if you wanna go bid on it.

vlodko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2013
Ukraine
Looks handsome but I would think of more contrast finish. For example stain it dark and then sand a bit so the "ribs" will look lighter....

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Well, I guess I will chime in here. You actually did put this up on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Irish-Briar-Pipeworks-Hand-Made-Poker-the-Blackthorne-tobacco-pipe-/171716784792?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27fb1e3298
and listed it as new. But a few posts above you said it smokes great. At least your not selling it for $300 and thus irking Tad Johnson.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
foah wrote:
You guys are joking right? You wanted to know what the definition of a pipe turd is. This fits the bill perfectly. Keep making crappy pipes. Pun intended.
pointers on which pipe the first or the one with the guy that has the thin wispy childlike beard?
My, my foah, now ain't you just a warm bright ray of sunshine. I bet you really brighten up a room.... as soon as you leave it.

clangillespie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
Ironwood Michigan
Yes, I tried a bowl in it for testing, but I have not lit it up like I want to, we are making pipes, restoring pipes and selling them as a fundraising, for our Clan Society.

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Jparker that "natural" pipe is awesome.
Clang if you did anything to the pipe I'd do a bit more finish sanding on the rim, and ensure that the stem mates up to the shank more. Other than that I love the looks of it.
Foah how about teaching some tips instead of blasting someone's newly learned skills.

foah

Lurker
Mar 8, 2015
Congratulations. Sorry for being a jerk. If you enjoyed making it then keep making them. You will get better with practice. I would say though next time try to make the shank as straight as you can. Also on a poker like yours you want it to be as cylindrical as possible. That can be tricky especially on the back by the shank. Stewart McDonald ( I think that's how you spell it) has flat edge files that really help with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.