PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Proust was right; taste memories can go way back.

Last night I had a full bowl of Margate in this nice Merchant Marine Bing I bought in Palm Desert a few weeks ago.

The taste of Middleton's Cherry Blend was there. Not sledge hammer, but it was definitely present, and I've not smoked that blend, nor any cherry blend, for over 50 years. (!!)

Any one else experienced similar?

MerchantBingPalmDesert2020.jpeg

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I have read they are reproducing So-called Merchant service pipes once again, but don't know if those are worth buying,the YTube presenter stuff&things had just reviewed one of those and I wasn't that impressed after watching it, Btw, as far as I'm aware,Cherry blends are renowned to ghost pipes, and that ghost definitely is not the nicest

Reactions: jpmcwjr

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Not experienced a ghost yet but have experienced some bad cherry blends. Since I’ve forgotten which pipes that cherry nightmare happened, I could meet my first ghost anytime soon. My hope is my practice of not building cake by “reaming” with paper towel after each bowl will protect me from hauntings.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
jpm, thanks for affirming what I thought you meant. None of my aromatics, nor anyone else's, have cropped up as ghosts. Some of the aftertastes described sound kind of nice, but since I don't build cake in my pipes, I never have to worry. No ghosts for me. If I smoked Lakeland aromatics, I'd designate a pipe, probably a cob.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Thanks for the ghost story! I am afraid to taint my briars with aromatics. They all go in a cob for when the mood strikes. Maybe I'm being too anal about it, and most wouldn't affect them ?‍♂️

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Proust was right; taste memories can go way back.

Last night I had a full bowl of Margate in this nice Merchant Marine Bing I bought in Palm Desert a few weeks ago.

The taste of Middleton's Cherry Blend was there. Not sledge hammer, but it was definitely present, and I've not smoked that blend, nor any cherry blend, for over 50 years. (!!)

Any one else experienced similar?

View attachment 17884
That's a singularly beautiful pipe. I can only assume the previous owner was fond of Middleton's Cherry Blend. Consider it a bonus!

I'm a Lakeland smoker and I don't limit them to particular pipes in my rotation. I'll sometimes taste the last think I smoked when I next use a particular pipe, but it doesn't bother me. I've never really had that problem with estates even though I never do salt treatments, retorts or even ream to bare wood. Lucky maybe?

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I have a Stanwell billiard that I discarded because I found it too heavy. Before it went into the bad pipes drawer I smoked the last few bowls of a tin of Mac Barens Vanilla Flake through it. I had decided I didn't like the blend and I wanted to contain the ghost. So in the drawer it went.
A year later I took it it back out and started smoking it again. It tasted of vanilla, pleasantly, and wasn't heavy at all. Don't know what I was thinking.
So I'm smoking it right now with some Dunhill Dark Flake. The ghost long excorciced, I think, but then suddenly midbowl,a distinct vanilla flavor for a minute or two, and then it's gone.
They're a funny thing, the ghosts..

Status
Not open for further replies.