PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Picked it up yesterday on the way to work from my favorite local B&M here in Anchorage, Pete's Tobacco. No major cleaning required, just an alcohol wipe, stem scrub and a light waxing of the outside.
I know it's Danish and did some poking around, appears to be from the 70s. Any more info would be appreciated.
The markings read "Monte Verdi Golden Tan Handmade in Denmark" ( see last pic )
Here it is
freehand002.jpg

freehand003.jpg

freehand004.jpg

freehand005.jpg

freehand006.jpg

freehand001.jpg

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Thanks guys!
I just finished smoking some Balkan Supreme out of it. That was a LOOOONG smoke, only filled it little over half way and it lasted almost an hour. The bowl stayed nice and cool. There was the ghost of some sort of OTC aromatic that came through toward the end, but that's no problem. Few more bowls of the black stuff and it should be gone. No dottle, gurgling or sizzle at the finishing line.
rothnh, very interesting post. Thanks for that good reading.
I think this pipe is well worth the $39 I paid for it :puffy:

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
The Monte Verdi line always featured that deep blast. The tactile experience while holding it is second to none. Mine are all drilled perfectly, too. It should be a nice pipe! 8)

crk69

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2012
Congrats, that is a nice looking freehand, and not a bad price either... Enjoy it!!

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
nice looking freehand...I have to LARGE Bari freehands and they can become a LONG smoke...I usually only fill it about half way and enjoy a 45 min smoke out of it...
Looks like a great smoker!!! and 39 isn't a bad price!!

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
That is a fine looking pipe. I have several Danish Freehands, as well a Pete Plato, and an Edwards freehand. I guess the Danes like a really deep chamber, since they are all huge. Welcome to the freehand club!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Very nice looking pipe. I love the craggy look of it and the stem goes great. It does not surprise me that it is a great smoker, especially with walls like that.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
The stem really is the icing on the cake. I had to triple-quadra check in the store that it was the original one. It does have the crown and MV etched in it, but some of it has worn down. Has a really really big open draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.