PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2016
@bluegrassbrian, the number inside the castle is not the shape number. That number will tell you when the pipe was made. In 1987, they started using the Castle logo and inside was stamped the number 40, for the 40th anniversary of when they started, in 1947. So, pipes made in 2017 have 70 stamped inside the circle. Pipes made in 2016 have 69 inside the circle.
Castello almost never puts the shape number on a smooth pipe. Their view of a shape chart is that it is an approximation. Shape numbers are, today, rarely used on rusticated and sandblast pies, but they still pop up occasionally. In an earlier time, shape numbers were stamped on most rusticated and sandblast pipes. Dealers and collectors know the chart and most of the time everybody agrees that x pipe would bear y shape number, even though nothing is stamped on the pipe.
That there are no k's on your pipe is an oddity.

Oct 7, 2016
Brian, I have a smooth KKK Castello with the open k's, not in a circle or oval, and a registration number, all consistent with a pipe made in the 1970's. But is it a Trademark? a Castello "Castello"? or a Collection? Nothing stamped on the pipe. Pipestud had another one with similar stamping in an auction a few weeks back. Consistency with nomenclature is not Castello's strong suit.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
@whitewolf It does actually have the US stamp. It's on the underside of the shank closer to the KINO stamp.
As far as the grain quality and it being a "kk", it seems maybe Castello puts a premium on straight and flame grain. Fans of birdseye could benefit.

Oct 7, 2016
@Whitewolf, Castello's are not addictive. I can stop buying them any time I want. In fact, I won't be buying any more - this month. Next month, if someone doesn't pick it off, a very nice estate 4k collection is history. But they are not addictive.
Funny how stereotypes take hold, to wit, large Castello's are heavy. I just noticed Pipestud has an estate Sea Rock G 75 up for auction this week. That is a large pipe, and it tips the scales comfortably under 50 grams. I am glad Marco is bringing in more smaller Castello's, but the large ones are by no means all boat anchors.
Edited to add:. Brian picked off a nice pipe. It is not a Collection ODP because only one side has the bird's eye to merit that grade, but that side is spectacular.

Oct 7, 2016
@whitewolf, no, I am out for the month unless whoever is offering that hypothetical nice Castello at a good price will tote my note. In fact,, if I can name the terms, the seller can name the price

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I'm thinking I need to smoke it more often. Been working on breaking it in.

It's terrific as is but can develop a bit of gurgle about 2/3 in.

Another month or so and it should be improved.

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Or it could be my smoking style. It's my lone bent in a sea of straights.

Either way I think a cake later will help.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I don't think that gurgle is going away, my friend. Bents are notorious for condensing moisture-laden smoke. Peterson even invented a sump well in the shank to address the phenomenon. But don't let that stop you from enjoying the smoke, just keep a pipe cleaner handy. BTW, beautiful birdseye on that one.

Oct 7, 2016
Castellos love dry tobacco and show their appreciation by remaining silent. I rarely use a pipe cleaner until I have finished the bowl.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Nice pipe! I've got one Castello, myself, an older pipe (before the "k" system) that's also just a reasonable - Dunhill group 4, I'd say - size pipe. I'm not much of one for the monsters, myself. :puffy:

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
Very nice Casello Brian!! I don't have one yet, but I recently bought an ardor which I have seen a lot in comparisons with Castellos and surprisingly it has a tendency to gurgle as well. I too am hoping this will stop when the pipe is fully broken in.

Keep us posted please.

Status
Not open for further replies.