PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
For as long as I've admired Castello pipes I've been frustrated by their frequent enormity. I prefer a smaller pipe and finding a "k" or "kk" can be a challenge.

So when I saw this one pop up in the estates at SP.com it filled that desire, and also my recent desire for a bent pipe.

A kk "Castello" with gorgeous birdseye.. I'm about to light up a bowl of G&H Curley Cut Deluxe Sliced.
QnwIHMC.jpg

pWpzJIR.jpg

bpiZDYA.jpg

h9O9DWG.jpg

kalvort

Might Stick Around
May 18, 2013
Congratulations! I definitely need to add a Castello to my collection soon.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Thanks for sharing this with us, even the reversed one. It needs to be "smokey"
I never produce clouds of smoke with a pipe. Am often told by others that they didn't even know it was lit. Brian, that pipe looks great, but you sure you're old enough to be smoking it? :mrgreen:

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Keeping it smokey..
FGxz2ml.jpg

I may not look it but I feel every bit of my 34 years.
This castello sure smokes nicely..once I get her broken in it will be a keeper.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I love all sized pipes. My collection ranges from a group 1 Barling to two sixes, an Autograph and a no name billiard, and I find this range useful as it accommodates different lengths of smokes and different tobacco cuts. I cruise several pipe sites a day to stoke my fascination, and although I love pipe gazing, the activity suffers from one serious drawback; that is, it leads to pipe buying. In a world where objects can haver a well-nigh irresistible attraction, there should be no such tawdry necessities as budgets. Between pipes, tobacco and cigars I'm toeing the thousand dollar mark this year, but for me that's good as I've spent two or three times that amount in the past.
Over the course of smoking I've comer to regard it as an addiction, though some like to call it a hobby. Whatever it is, I've spent far too much money on it, can't stop doing it, can't envision what my life would be like without it and adore it!

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
It's a beauty! I was actually watching that one myself, but went with a #35 from SP. Welcome to the club! Now you can see what all the hype is about!
Tim

Oct 7, 2016
Castellos are not addictive. Castellos are not addictive. Castellos are not addictive.
Really nice bird's eye. Surprised it is only a 2k (which in Castello smooths, stand for grain quality and coverage, not size.).
As ssjones now knows, there are a lot of smaller Castello's out there, and not all of the larger ones are heavy.
But Castello's are not addictive.

Enjoy the pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I really like that configuration of a pipe, though I seldom see Castellos in that weight and size. I have similar bent billiards by carver Jerry Perry, Gianni, BC, and Bari, among others. The ones that are compact but thick shanked and stemmed make good pocket pipes with plenty of bowl but a portable shape and durability. You have some outstanding grain on that one. Kind of a rare item in terms of what I've encountered.

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
@ssjones Is the shape number the number in the castle logo?
@oldgeez Seee I knew that about the "k" system but once I got caught up in the actual purchasing/fawning/smoking it escaped my mind. Somewhat arbitrary and inconsistent system but maybe that's part of the mystique.
Made me think though.. where did SP copywriters get the kk designation from? It's not on the pipe, the sock, or the box.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Made me think though.. where did SP copywriters get the kk designation from? It's not on the pipe, the sock, or the box.
It's like Dunhill's size grouping. 1K is smallest, and so on. SPC likely went by bowl size.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Nice Costello '65'.
I think I have that shape in 3 or 4 brand's interpretation. A Dunhill, a Barling, a Lorenzo and even a couple of MasterCraft, and the shape seems to always be a revelation. Each is not only both hand and mouth friendly, but they all seem to accept their loads with ease, and burn cool and steady.
When I think of Costello, I think of the 55. I know. That's a stereotype? But, I've also read that these are among the finest factory produced pipes and preferred by many aficionados.

I don't have one. Some day. I've got a long list of 'brands' I'd love to own, have, smoke.

I've got a couple of Grabow Omega's that are very similar in shape and feel to the '65'.

Status
Not open for further replies.