PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
Just jarred my first attempt at a home blend. Went real blunt, just imagined the flavors and had fun. The same way I make my homemade jerky. If it goes half as well as that, we'll have some bloody awesome tobacco in a few weeks. (Don't really brag about too much, but I make some awesome beef jerky. In case you were wondering.)
Anyway, I call it the 3-2-1 mix:

Three Parts McC Perique

Two Parts C&D Izmir Turkish

One Part C&D Cube Cut Burley
I'm not sure what to expect.
How long should I keep that jar closed up? I'm tempted to try it every Saturday to see how it progresses on a weekly basis.
Also tempted to weld up a cake pressing rig, but that's waaaay down on my list of things to do.
Anyway, fingers crossed.

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
I smoke the stuff straight, so no issues there. I think the fruit and spice of the Perique will be calmed and complimented by the cedar-pine from the Izmir.
I only recently tried the Burley, but found it a fun little smoke that might add some mystery to this mix. Like Perique, it had some spice, so it won't dilute things too much.

May 4, 2015
Sa'll good. I don't know how much of anything else you're going to be able to taste over the Perique by the time it melds, though. I look forward to hearing back on it.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
Most folks seem to think it takes a few months for flavores to begin to meld. But I don't know for sure.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Sounds like it should turn out good. I made a mixture of several different blends once. It was varying amounts of different samples I had left from the box pass. Most were a bowl or two worth. I let it sit for two years before I got to it. It ended up being quite good.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Uh oh! Rum/Per potential. Soak that perique in some rum and Enjoy!
Your blend sounds delicious.

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
Not a big rum guy, sorry. Maybe a moonshine spritz wood be good.
Actually, I have the perfect moonshine to mix into some Perique! Has a figgy flavor.

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
Not a big rum guy, sorry. Maybe a moonshine spritz wood be good.
Actually, I have the perfect moonshine to mix into some Perique! Has a figgy flavor.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
Start smoking it right away. Store some and try in a month. Most of this "melding" people talk about is really about the flavorings added to tobacco and not the tobacco itself.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I'm in agreement with 1coyote as to the order of your mix. My 'base' is typically burly, but after getting in 5lbs of various D&R tobaccos, I'll be using more VA bases experimentally. D&R has a lot of VA stuff.

Perique to me is like a seasoning, not a base.

The idea of allowing a mix of tobaccos to rest together for a few days always seems to pay dividends.

I smoke my mixes right away and they improve with time. I suppose I 'learn' them too, but I do think that there is something almost indefinable about what a few hours resting together does for a blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.