PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
So, you can use a mammoth mason jar to seal it tightly and avoid evaporation? Was hoping I wouldn't have to buy one of those special Rumtopf jars...

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Olkofri, this is my first attempt at Rumtopf. Mike Thompson has been a big help and we've messaged back and forth about it. Yes, you can use mason jars. If this batch turns out good, next summer I'm going to make it strictly with cherries, as Mike does.
Also, my picture shows all the sugar sitting at the bottom. I had to flip the jars a few times for the first week to get the sugar to dissolve. You don't want the sugar just sitting on the bottom.
Many recipes found when Googled.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Thanks, scloyd. Yeah, I poogled up a recipe. Wonder if I'll have the patience to keep adding layers rather than just eat it. I'll start with a small jar; honestly, I'd rather drink the rum, but ah well, sometimes you have to make a few sacrifices.
Hmm, wonder if I can make Gintopf instead... :P

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I know a woman who soaks fresh cranberries in vodka. I don't know any details on how much or how long. It just came up one day in conversation at the bank.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Scott, I've heard of a variety of things being used to flavour vodka like that, even candy canes and lemon peels. In theory they are supposed to impart a flavour while cooking and baking.
You don't need a Rumtopf to make rumtopf, but if you use clear jars make sure to keep it out of sunlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.