PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unclemax

Lurker
Nov 23, 2017
Hey, Fellas... I’ve always been a lower-tier Savinelli guy (awesome pipes for the price!), and finally decided to step up and branch out. I’ve always loved the Roveras pipes, and picked up this sweeet bent apple. My pictures certainly do not do it justice, so I “borrowed” the posted pics from SP’s website, who I ordered the pipe thru. It will definitely not be the last Ardor I purchase, and I haven’t even loaded it yet!! Beautiful craftsmanship and finishing!! I’ve always loved their backstory, as with so many other independent pipe maker.
Now that I’ve shown the new addition, what’s the proper/preferred method of breaking it in?? I haven’t always gone about it correctly w/ the Savinellis, but this (for me) is a realllly nice pipe, and I don’t wanna screw it up! I’m kinda all over the map blend-wise. Va’s, Va blends, and med English during the days I guess, English, burleys, lats, and seasonals at night. I guess my question is which blends can share my new Briar BFF without ghosting or junkin it up?? Aros are out, of course. I’m an EDC guy too, and this pipe feels like some of the much nicer pocket knives I acquire, but then am afraid to use ‘em cause I don’t wanna mess ‘em up (like this pipe)!! But hey .. they’re all tools, and meant to be used lol. Thanks again, fellas! I was gonna reach for some Opening Night or Three Nuns Yellow, until found a 15 yr old can of Blackwoods Flake (last one) in the back of the cabinet. Would really like to save that one, because Castello is calling to me as well. Was realllly tryin to avoid the slippery slope, but they’re sooooo cool. Thank-you, all.
E46DDBD9-F85A-4C92-A320-6D11CEF9764E.jpeg26532D83-E7C7-49A6-86C2-B956E2D95AE6.jpeg

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
Beautiful pipe you got there. I never break in pipe. Load it up full and smoke away. Any tobacco you like. I smoke any and all , but Aeros out of the same pipe. Some have English blend pipes and Virginias blend pipes separate. I don’t. Enjoy

Reactions: unclemax

unclemax

Lurker
Nov 23, 2017
Hey thank-ya, Chuck. See, that’s what I’ve always done w/ the Savinellis. Just load ‘em up and puff away. I do have a VA specific pipe, and I only smoke Kramer’s Father Dempsey (and occasionally NightCap and Quiet Nights) out of my Jacono. I was planning on using the Ardor for Va’s, but once I had it in hand I wanted to smoke some English blends out of it a night, too (without ghosting). Thanks again, Chuck.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I really do love that pipe! I don't own an Ardor but I've always loved their style and I plan on owning one someday. That was definitely a great get!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Now that I’ve shown the new addition, what’s the proper/preferred method of breaking it in??
Smoke it.

I guess my question is which blends can share my new Briar BFF without ghosting or junkin it up?? Aros are out, of course.
Anything you want, ghosting is easily smoked out, and aros are fine if you like them. Even better in a well engineered pipe.

they’re all tools
Exactly

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
Half fill the pipe for the first two smokes (avoid aros) and puff only slowly. After that, off you go. IMHO :)

I have several Ardors and love them!

unclemax

Lurker
Nov 23, 2017
I really do love that pipe! I don't own an Ardor but I've always loved their style and I plan on owning one someday. That was definitely a great get!
Thank-ya, Hawky! They’re quite addictive, and you definitely get what ya pay for! Bravo to the Roveras?????

Reactions: hawky454

unclemax

Lurker
Nov 23, 2017
Half fill the pipe for the first two smokes (avoid aros) and puff only slowly. After that, off you go. IMHO :)

Fortunate Dude!!??? I’m going to jump down the Castello rabbit hole next, then swing back to Ardor. No tellin after that??

unclemax

Lurker
Nov 23, 2017

PS: Thank-you for the tip, Anthony. Sorrys... watchin a coupla football games, and forgot to thank you in my last post.??✌️

unclemax

Lurker
Nov 23, 2017
Hey Fellas.. I ended up choosing one of my favorites for the Christening, (Three Nuns/ July 2018.. how appropriate!). As I said in my op, I’m just a regular Savinelli guy, w/ 1 “nice” Jacono. They’re a great value in a nice smoking pipe. Plus, it’s not a huge deal if ya mess one up. Ok, now on to the new Ardor...
I popped the unopened tin of Three Nuns to the always familiar “whooosh” and classic smell. Not much air time was needed, and started going over the new pipe once more. I gotta tell ya, the Roveras do an amazing job. Dorelio carved a small indentation on each side of the lower bowl, exactly where your thumb and finger would naturally serve as a rest. It just works perfectly with this plump, bent apple. It feels comfortable in hand, almost like it’s been in your rotation for years.
Once loaded and lit I was amazed! This beautiful pipe smokes incredibly cool. I stared at the pipe, and kept thinking of the Roveras workshop, the family history, and how my beautiful new briar came from their hands, their tools, and a 10 year aged block of Italian wood. It always felt right in my hand. I can’t thank them enough for what they do, and how they go about it. A Castello (or two!) is next, and then back to Ardor. I’m not abandoning my OG Savinellis.. they’re great! But this pipe is ”wow” for the price point and what the Roveras craft.

Status
Not open for further replies.