PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indoeuro

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Central Texas
Not to come off too Penthouse Letters ("Dear Penthouse, I never thought this would happen to me, but...") here, but I was certain that solid antique store finds were a thing of the past and that I would never gain that sweet feel of scoring an undervalued gem.
No more!
Along with a gently used straight stem, I found these three bowls. Two unsmoked! Notice the original price stickers. Any guesses as to when these things were $2.50?
The third bowl has some spot carving that seems to indicate that the previous owner didn't believe tobacco pipes to be unitaskers. I have not included a close-up of that one. Let's assume that he was a fan of Japanese Maple and leave it at that.

Attachments

• New Falcon Bowls 1.jpg
    New Falcon Bowls 1.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 21
  • New Falcon Bowls 2.jpg
    New Falcon Bowls 2.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 25
  • New Falcon Bowls.jpg
    New Falcon Bowls.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 23

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Not to come off too Penthouse Letters ("Dear Penthouse, I never thought this would happen to me, but...") here, but I was certain that solid antique store finds were a thing of the past and that I would never gain that sweet feel of scoring an undervalued gem.
No more!
Along with a gently used straight stem, I found these three bowls. Two unsmoked! Notice the original price stickers. Any guesses as to when these things were $2.50?
The third bowl has some spot carving that seems to indicate that the previous owner didn't believe tobacco pipes to be unitaskers. I have not included a close-up of that one. Let's assume that he was a fan of Japanese Maple and leave it at that.
it was Penthouse forum. And in my opinion you weren't really a man until you read one of those letters and thought hey this ones real and I know that girl.

indoeuro

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Central Texas
oh those stickers are because those are display pieces. Or at least that's how it reads to me. Like displayed on a counter and the actual bowls are some where under the counter.
I'll be damned! That sounds exactly right. At $2.50 per, when do you reckon those bowls were originally on the market?

Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
though seeing that kind of price for a bowl reminds me of reading older stories and having to stop and go look up what money actually bought what. I remember reading one story where a huge plot point was the guy rejecting and easy job that paid 175 dollars a week. You know less then I got at my worst paying job. And then looking at the year it was published and realizing that 175 a week was more like 80 or 90 thou a year now a days. Money I kind of love it kind want to it back behind the shed and beat the shit out of it too.

Reactions: indoeuro

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Even a ten-year-old restaurant menu can amaze me. Inflation sneaks up on us, and pretty soon prices double. Look at a cafeteria menu from the 1930's, and you could take the family out for $5 with all the trimmings. But it was the Depression, so few could afford to eat out.

Status
Not open for further replies.