PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
My favorite pipe has been a Lorenzo Standard half bent rusticated billiard.

This a.m. during a routine maintenance of it's insides, I broke the shank at the mortise while simply replacing the stem.

I was watching my computer screen and listening to something and as I pushed the stem rather than twisted it, into it's mortise, I heard a snap, looked down and found I had a nice sized chuck of briar from the shank, broken right off!
I was shocked. This pipe's stem has always been a perfect fit allowing me to remove and replace anytime anywhere. Hot, cold, warm, or frozen. I barely pushed! I must have been slightly off center or something at the start? I have no idea, but I write this as a cautionary tale.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A good pipe repair person can fix it for you with glue, a band, or shortening and recutting the shank, etc. Will it have the same favorite smoking characteristics? Or should you put the money you'd spend for repairs toward a new or estate pipe? How attached to the pipe do you feel now that it's broken? This is a good lesson in just how fragile even our sturdy pipes can be, to break right in our hands. If it were me, I'd probably get estimates and probably go for the repairs, take the chances. The pipe repair work I've had done is highly satisfying.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
200.gif

Sorry to hear that.

stacen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2011
Sad News... my condolences. Fix it up with a band perhaps? Might give the pipe even more sentimental value in the long run!

P

pipebuddy

Gee, that sucks. It must have had a stress fracture on the shank that you were not aware of...especially if you removed the stem while the pipe was hot on a regular basis. It doesn't help, man.
Maybe a repair guy would be able to put back the chunk and reinforce the shank with a band.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
What surprised me was how brittle the briar was. I really thought it had more durability.

Mind you, I wasn't jamming the thing in, the pipe wasn't hot. I wasn't looking though.

I found some super glue and put it back together. I just did it minutes ago and I'm gonna leave it w/o the stem to cure for a day.

This isn't a sentimental pipe. Just the most dependable and to this point, easy to maintain. I love its ergonomics and its function.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
so, I left the pipe sitting on a shelf, until yesterday, when I got out my hack saw, cut the shank off fairly squarely, put in a piece of food grade tubing about 1/4" wide, and stuck in a MM Morgan stem.

The bowl still performed like magic! It just breaths and stays cool like none other I own.

win_20190305_06_28_33_pro-600x337.jpg

Maybe I'll get more involved with a better fix at some point. I'm thinking of drilling the shank out to accept another stem.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. It's like a Frankenstein pipe...nice fix. :clap:

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I once snapped off the stem of a Peterson Drac by sheer brute force. Peterson pipes are frequently hard to pull apart short of putting them in the freezer for a few minutes. But on this early occasion I was surprised I accidentally snapped the stem, because I have a weak grip. Peterson replaced the stem, but it wasn't as festive as the original stem. (The Dracs all have unique pattering on the stem from the acrylic mixing.)

jaygreen55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2015
I did the same thing to one of my favorite Ed Burak pipes. A featherweight Canadian made from rare Algerian briar. I gathered up all the pieces I could find and sent the pipe to Mark Tinsky. He glued (or epoxied) the shank back together,

put on a sterling silver repair band. A week and $50 later I got back a pipe that was as good as new

Status
Not open for further replies.