My Family Heirloom Pipes Are Finally Back!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmtPav

Lurker
Dec 16, 2019
Not much more to add than others have said. Those are great heirlooms. I’d smoke them very carefully and very seldom. Just to say I did. But, buy yourself some news pipes. And cherish those.
Thanks for the response. And I'm kind of with you on the smoke them just so I can say I did stance.If I ever do decide to use them I'll probably hold off until 2023 and celebrate their centennial. That will hopefully give me enough time to develop a decent enough technique to smoke them properly.

Reactions: BROBS

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Its kind of like getting your Great-Grandfathers 1931 Duesenberg back from a total restoration. Would your drive it down the freeway to get bags of dirt from Home depot? I mean you could, its your car, but that's not what its for.

Very nice pipes by the way, and I'm glad they found their way back to you.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A Dusie compared to heirloom pipes? Both fabulous but with a value differential of over a million.

And yeah, probably wouldn't go to Home Depot in it....

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I think they look great on display and a wonderful tribute to the man himself. I’m sure he would be proud.

I personally would get a different Dunhill pipe and smoke that as a tribute. Leaving the family heirlooms undamaged and in the best state possible.

Reactions: mso489

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
Fine work and considered the before condition, absolutely beautiful results, Your Great Great Grandfather had wonderful taste in pipes, and I particularly love the Shell. Regarding them being smoked hot, back then smoking was considered simply smoking and not necessarily a hobby. They were smoked solely for the enjoyment of the owner, and by the looks of the before pictures I'd say he thoroughly enjoyed them. Congratulation on the wonderful addition to your collection.

Reactions: BROBS and mso489

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think of options other than smoke or don't smoke. Smoke one or two pipes and save the other(s) for display only. Smoke only one pipe and only on special occasions. If you don't smoke them, I'd either get Dunhill estate pipes in superior shape, or pipes by Dunhill associated pipe makers, but not so outrageously expensive, like Ashton or Ferndown. Some of those are available as estates at relatively moderate prices. In any case, these are magnificent heirlooms for the family. Interesting how fiercely they were smoked, by a tightly wound smoker it seems.

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.