PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgreth

Lurker
Jun 30, 2019
I've scoured the internet using my Google Fu (I'm a Software Engineer of 23 years, so not weak) and I've been unable to find any information on this pipe. Can anyone help?
pmqHK7X.jpg

06IHzBG.jpg

LjJfIxE.jpg

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
Interesting it doesn't have a yellow stem. I'll be following this to see what others come up with as I know nothing about non-briar pipes.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Please accept my condolences on the passing of your father.
Are there any markings on the pipe that might indicate who carved it? The cavalier/buccaneer is a very popular shape and were turned out by any number of carvers, so without some sort of signature it's unlikely a positive attribution can be made.
A black stem is unusual. The vast majority of carved meers feature an amber or faux amber stem that either screws into the shank or uses a Teflon push tenon. Does the stem screw in or is it a push tenon? If it's a push tenon, look in the mortise to see if there is any threading, such as would indicate the stem is a replacement. Beyond that I haven't anything to add other than it's very well carved.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Sorry to hear about your father. It is very nice that you have his pipe to remember him by. I wish o had one of my grandfathers old pipes, but he gave it up many many years ago.
Anyway, the pipe. I don't have much more to add other than it is a very nicely carved figural Meerschaum. I don't think I've seen many meers with a black stem. What are your plans for the pipe?

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
A few years ago, I bought one almost identical to this pipe. I think I paid about $50 for it. I now have three of the carver's pipes and I have commissioned another one that will be sent to me in the future.
My pipe has been smoked more than yours, since I have more color on it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What a wonderful legacy from your dad. My condolences. My dad smoked all his pipes to char, packing Granger, but I do have my grandfather's, later my dad's round pipe stand with amber tobacco bowl.

jgreth

Lurker
Jun 30, 2019
Thanks all.
As far as replacement stem, maybe? I took a picture of it and it looks like there may have been some threading in there? Really gotta zoom in on it though. I didn't see any markings of anything such as a signature or initials. It's intriguing that there is a hole in the head ... so weird.
As far as what I'm doing with it - I'm absolutely keeping it. I may even smoke it once in awhile after I clean it up. I'm just curious because it's really nice and light weight ... I'm guessing Ivory but I'm not 100% sure?
Here's the picture of the stem entry.
8EEh0cb.jpg

jgreth

Lurker
Jun 30, 2019
I do know that he's had this pipe since I was a very young child and I'm 43 now.... so... :)

jgreth

Lurker
Jun 30, 2019
He had an ashtray that is perfect for this pipe, too!
lDJpCbM.jpg

IR3XNc7.jpg

mn0qtG4.jpg

Pardon my mess on the counter, lol.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
OF COURSE it's got a hole in the head. That's where the tobacco goes! :nana:
Very nice, seemingly well cared for and seldom smoked meer. You should get much enjoyment out of furthering the coloration of your family heirloom.
I like the way the beard and feather are leading the way in taking on color. Should be interesting to document the progress over time.
Condolences for your family's loss and welcome to the forum.
jay-roger.jpg

PS If that "mess" on the counter bothers you, box it up and send it to me for disposal... :D

jgreth

Lurker
Jun 30, 2019
PS If that "mess" on the counter bothers you, box it up and send it to me for disposal...
If you're talking about my cognac or my scotch you can forget about it. ;)
I really appreciate the thoughts - my dad passed Feb of 2018 so it's not new - I just wanted to finally reach out about the pipe to people who may know. :)
My dad smoked his pipe most of his life and died happy (that I can tell) - if nothing else he would be happy that I'm out there asking about it. I'm not asking to sell - I'm asking because I want to know the origin of my dad's almost most prized possession. He smoked Captain Black for most of his life and I can still smell it today - it's the best smell in the world.

upnorth1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2017
La Belle Province, Canada
As far as what I'm doing with it - I'm absolutely keeping it. I may even smoke it once in awhile after I clean it up. I'm just curious because it's really nice and light weight ... I'm guessing Ivory but I'm not 100% sure?
It's a meerschaum pipe. Nice carving job too.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nice set! The pipe looks right at home on the ashtray. Find a place safe from pets and tykes and keep it on exhibit when you aren't smoking it. Keep that color going.

skaukatt

Can't Leave
My condolences on your Dad's passing.
That's a beautiful pipe and a wonderful remembrance of Dad.
The pipe is not ivory but a mineral called meerschaum. See the following for more info and as you know, Google is your friend!
Enjoy!
Lou
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpOihCa9B8o

https://www.tobacco-barn.com/t-art-meerschaumthemovie.aspx

jgreth

Lurker
Jun 30, 2019
Oh nice! I've heard of it... always thought Meerschaum was a maker of pipes and not the actual mineral, hah!!
Thanks! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.