PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

radrick96

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2020
Orlando, Florida
Thanks all!
So far I’ve cLeaned it up. Top shelf is empty. Plan on placing other pipe stands on top. Pipes in the rack.
Middle drawer is for miscellaneous. Pipe cleaners, Pipe socks, tampers, and lighters. The bottom cabinet part I’m using for my jars. Currently I only have 6 blends in 4oz jars but it will hold at least 14 of them total(7 stacks of 2 jars, 1 jar per blend).

The bottom is coming off so I am flying and nailing it. Next I will paint it!

Reactions: danimalia

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nifty, and a good price. I'd leave it that color, or paint it something light. Black might look sharp, but it would be a final decision, take a lot of coats to change it later. Just a thought. I don't know your decor or taste. The pipes might get lost against the black?

radrick96

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2020
Orlando, Florida
Nifty, and a good price. I'd leave it that color, or paint it something light. Black might look sharp, but it would be a final decision, take a lot of coats to change it later. Just a thought. I don't know your decor or taste. The pipes might get lost against the black?
Im an architect so everything has to match and all my furniture is black. Whether it’s wood or metal. Some things have a walnut top on them but the pipe cabinet stain doesn’t match. It’s a couple shades darker.

I plan on leaving it for a month or two before deciding. If I leave it on my dresser in my closet, it won’t be annoying to me.

As for my pipes, you’re right it could. I have a custom morta That will be hard to see. Otherwise my clay pipe and cobs don’t have any issues sticking out like sore thumbs!

Reactions: gamzultovah

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Is it hollowed out for pipes when you pull out the drawer?? I’d put bents on top and straights in that and leave the drawer out. ?

Reactions: radrick96

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't try to showcase my pipes against a light background, but I like just enough reflected light around them to be able to distinctly see them. I have quite a few, and try to keep them all smoked between long rests. I don't want them "lit up," and I sure don't want them in direct daylight, in terms of not oxidizing Vulcanite stems or fading finishes. Some of the cabinets and racks show more of the pipes than others, but I definitely want to see which pipes are where. That's my thinking, if it might be useful.

Reactions: BROBS and radrick96

radrick96

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2020
Orlando, Florida
I don't try to showcase my pipes against a light background, but I like just enough reflected light around them to be able to distinctly see them. I have quite a few, and try to keep them all smoked between long rests. I don't want them "lit up," and I sure don't want them in direct daylight, in terms of not oxidizing Vulcanite stems or fading finishes. Some of the cabinets and racks show more of the pipes than others, but I definitely want to see which pipes are where. That's my thinking, if it might be useful.
I guess I have to decide which set of 7 pipes I want on top versus inside...Inside the rack would be darker, top receiving the most lighting.

I’m looking at finishing a 7 set of cobs or 7 set of Chris Morgan Bones pipes. Admittedly both have a churchwarden type in them which doesn’t exactly fit with stems attached inside the rack haha

I look on craigslist every once in a while just hoping to find something like this. Haven't yet, but the search continues.
I wish you luck! Do you check yard sales?

I was going to but instead got lucky. My first hour of surfing craigslist i searched tobacco pipes, pipe tobacco, pipe cabinet, smoking cabinet. The latter gave me the ad for the item.

I was worried with no number I wouldn’t be able to contact him due to previous attempts at reaching Craigslist owners through email, but did receive a reply!

For $25 that is really nice. Now you have an excuse to get more pipes and tins to fill it up!

I put my 4 pipes in the rack; pipe socks, cleaners, 2 lighters, 3 Tamps in the drawer; and I have a half dozen 4oz jars of open blends with a tobacco pouch in the cupboard part. I could still fit an additional eight 4oz jars in there though!

I have a dozen sealed tins and a dozen ziplocs of open blends(samples) I need to figure out where to store. Right now they’re just thrown in a cardboard Heineken case next to the cabinet on a desk.

Of course, more pipes! Haha Im already trying to decide if i want to buy like 6 cobs to complete a full 7 set or a Rhodesian CW with lightning finish from Chris Morgan Pipes...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife got me a Two Cousins gift certificate for a pipe cabinet/rack a little like yours, and I custom ordered it in worn red barn wood look. They kindly sent a photo of the completed rack with the option for a much more conventional item, but I stuck with my request, and they congratulated me for that. My wife was in rehab after hip surgery revision, so I took the rack loaded with pipes to sit on her rolling table. It's the center of my pipe shrine, with other racks and a cabinet. Pipes reproduce like rabbits.

jdb67

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2020
Albuquerque, NM
I bought a beautiful oak wall rack that has glass/wood cabinet doors years back. Only problem was that my pipe collection was about 10 pipes and the rack holds 24. That baby is full now!

• Haha

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
That's a fantastic find! When I thought of a rack I always wanted it to hold all my pipes. But I've seen groups of smaller numbers of pipes, too. Both are good.

Status
Not open for further replies.