My clay pipe broke!!! I need a new pipe!!!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mushjoon

Might Stick Around
Nov 26, 2011
Basically, I left my coat in my friend's house and it seems to me that somebody sat on it. Guess what; in my pockets, there were my precious clay pipes all wrapped in bubble wrap. However, their stems broke due to sheer mass of someone.
Fortunately, one of them was in "decent" condition. So I took it back home and sanded it to remove any sharp edge.
Before sanding:

SNV30074.jpg

SNV30075.jpg

SNV30076.jpg

After sanding:

SNV30079.jpg

SNV30080.jpg

SNV30081.jpg

But... now I only have 2 pipes: MM Diplomat and my cutty (this guy used to be 8'')
Could you make a suggestion for a good pipe under $60? I have negative opinion about briar pipes because they don't absorb moisture and other stuff as well as clays do, thus leaving ghost.
I want smooth, not black-colored, and not freehand. Bent or straight, it doesn't matter.
If you think that I'm wrong, then prove me wrong with your suggestion please.

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
Smooth under $60 brand new, hard to do. I would hit up Ebay, Smoking Pipes or antique malls for estates. If a rough finish was alright you are knocking on the door for a Peterson Kapet.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I doubt I could "prove" you wrong, but I will say this... briar is the material of choice for the overwhelming majority of pipemakers for a reason. It's heat resistant, sturdier than clay or meerschaum, and has an unmatched grain that looks amazing in both smooth and rough finishes. Briar doesn't absorb moisture? Really?
I'm not sure how much experience you have with pipes, but I think you owe it to yourself to give briar (GOOD briar) a try.
Personally I've never had a big problem with "ghosting" and I've been smoking a pipe for 24 years. But frankly if ghosting was as prevalent in the real world as it seems to be on the internet, I'd probably be biased against briar, too. But the best way to avoid ghosts is to buy NEW pipes.
Johs, Bjarne, Brebbia, Neerup, Sebastian Beo, Parker, along with the usual suspects (Savinelli, Stanwell and Peterson) are all excellent pipes in all price ranges. You should be able to find any of these at some of this site's sponsors.
Let us know what you decide.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
Well, there is no right or wrong when it comes to the choice of pipes, so proving you wrong is impossible. It's all a matter of personal choice.
Just buy another clay if that's what suits you.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
thank you schmitzbitz; ur one of the few who actually included brigham in a recommendation, lol i feel shunned cause they seem to be passed up on recommendations here and i am a die hard brig fan

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
There's always meerschaum, too. They smoke really clean. If you like clay, you'd probably enjoy one. You don't see a lot for $60 or less, but it's certainly not impossible.

jordanogren

Lurker
Jan 16, 2012
Minnesota
I know the feeling of breaking a clay pipe. I bought my first clay pipe from the Best Made Company a while back and really enjoyed it. But alas, it too was in my coat and someone sat on it. Reluctant to spend another $36, I came across Black Bear Haversack's site. They sell a lot of reenactment gear, and have a couple different types of clay tavern pipes; all of which are under $10. The links are below.
I really enjoy the good, clean smoke out of these simple clay pipes. That being said, I think briar is great too; I even have a pipe that's *gasp* made out of oak. For me, different types of pipes are right for different moods or occasions.
http://www.bestmadeco.com/collections/frontpage/products/clay-pipe
http://www.black-bear-haversack.com/index.php/cPath/1001_88

dimm

Might Stick Around
Jan 7, 2012
Montréal, Canada
I know what you mean. Briar can be hit and miss. The first pipe I bought was a 55$ basket pipe at my local pipe shop and it was the worst thing I ever smoked. Hot and bitter. I loved how it looked at I tried everything. I broke it in delicately, cleaned it properly, tried different tobaccos but the thing was awful. I ended up giving it to a friend to use as a prop in one of his plays. This one bad experience made me cringe every time I looked at a briar. I couldn't understand why everyone praised them and stuck with my cob for a while. Eventually I gave briar another chance and was happy to find out my first experience was a fluke. But that was my first pipe experience and it will stay with me for a long time. Anyways give briar a chance.

mushjoon

Might Stick Around
Nov 26, 2011
Ok, then... I'll follow the instructions of elders.
By the way, does somebody know a good online pipe retailer? And what do you guys think about Dawn Mist Studio? This lady makes bunch of clay pipes based on her research and all, but I still think that the price is too expensive for a clay... (maybe the price is just right regarding her experience and all... I don't know)

Jul 12, 2011
for a clay, this looks like a low-cost/smart move http://www.pipeshoppe.com/ps_p2002.php
I like the Dutch style one myself....

irish02_600.jpg

mushjoon

Might Stick Around
Nov 26, 2011
@thesmokindragon: actually, that's the very pipe of mine which broke.... I was thinking about giving briar or other retailers a shot.

Jul 12, 2011
Sweet clay brah! I really like that one...well for other options you could always go with an Uncle Arthur briar pipe (he is an outstanding pipe maker)
or
A TheSmokinDragon custom cob :wink:

thesmokindragon-customcob-purplebamboo-blueswirl-1-600x448.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.