PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
cayuga-briar-nov-2013-600x370.jpg

I had the day off yesterday and made my way up to Flint for my first visit to Paul's Pipe Shop in Flint. They have their own brand of briar pipes, made at the shop and locally sourced. The pipe is cured in 420F degree oil and their special 'magical cake' coating is added. It is marketed to speed up the break in process.
With an hour drive back home, I first packed the pipe and lit up for an enjoyable ride home. The first smoke was with one of their custom blends, in this case "2010", a non-aromatic mix of Virginia and burley. But this is about my pipe, which smoked beautifully the first time out. Draw was perfect, the bowl was cool and sits nicely in the car when I stopped at a store in Fenton on the way home.
I love the satin finish (light sheen) and silky feel. The wider base fits nicely in my hand and the slight upward bend is perfect for clutching (although I will add a rubber tip).
I recommend this brand and will be back in January, where I will get 20% off in my birthday month.

mtnfolkmike

Might Stick Around
Oct 27, 2013
Nice score.. Thats a great looking pipe.. I have a "gondolier" Canadian style pipe from Paul's Pipe shop, that i got from a friend on another forum..

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
Paul's Cayugas are nice when you find the model you're after. I have three of them now, and love them...however the stems begin to oxidize VERY quickly. We all mourned the passing of Paul earlier on in the year, but the shop and all of the goodness you can find in the pipe smoking world lives on as shown in your recent acquisition. Enjoy!
Shutterbug

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Here are mine:
The Oom Paul. The bowl is huge. I can fit a good part of my finger in it.

The Canadian. The bowl isn't too big, but it isn't tiny either. Which is fine, as my tastes have shifted to smaller bowls.

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
I have a Danish style Cayuga myself. I love the pipe and enjoy the company of the fine folks from Paul's each year at the Columbus Pipe Show. I plan on taking a vacation to Michigan in 2015 and will have to make Flint a stop on the way.

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
As a displaced Flintoid I enjoy hearing about peoples experiences at Paul's. A great B&M. I hope you make the trip Jud.

Status
Not open for further replies.