PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

radrick96

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2020
Orlando, Florida
LOL. My favourite dogs are those who don't (waste time) bark(ing) but just jump right to the bite. ?

Good thing Jill's home. Let's hope for a quick recovery.
Exactly. I even have him on hand signals in case of intruder. Imagine his surprise when I give Romeo an okay and jump out with my 12 gauge. Hahaha

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Jill has a fan base on Forums. Keep us posted on her health, and hopefully soon on her antics. She has star power.

Reactions: radrick96

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Border collies are the best. Romeo doesn’t bark, doesn’t bite, always listens. It was the hardest 8 months of my life training him(i rescued him from the wild) but he’s given me 8 of the best years of my life. Can’t sneak out of the room without him following me. Never need a leash. Just a lot of brushing and treats. Used to be if I couldn’t take him someplace, we wasn’t going. Haha

We are glad to hear Jill is home and on the mend. We will continue to cheer for her.
Hi Rad, yeah, Jill sleeps in a kennel in the master bedroom. Sometimes she sleeps out of the kennel but my wife doesn't appreciate Jill's enthusiasm when she leaps on the bed and lands on her at 5:20am. I've tried sneaking out too to try and have a 'quiet' cup of coffee but no deal. I even very carefully slip out of the covers and onto the floor and belly crawl to the door but Jill seems to have 'Dad' radar because the second I think I'm free, the whining and caterwauling starts so I go and get her out of her kennel and we have our coffee together while she waits not so patiently for her tennis ball.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Really glad to hear she's ok. I've been through situations with dogs that didn't end as happily, and it's absolutely devastating, and I've been through what you describe as well (as recently as last month with our Yellow Lab, Eddie), and felt the elation of a healthy diagnosis. Give her plenty of love and lots of treats!

Kilgore Trout

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2019
Did the vet say what the cause of this was? Just out of curiosity, before this happened did she start any new medication, change her diet, or get an insect bite? Also have you noticed any skin issues?

Reactions: shikano53

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Long live Jill! We now have two male Maine Coon looking cats rescued out of a drainpipe as kittens, and until recently we had an amazing little shorthaired black and white female cat, a mom before she was spayed, that lived to be 18 or 19, and passed on in my arms after a little vocal announcement. Really sad, but much of an honor to have her choose her time just eye-to-eye, before we got her to the vet. What a gal! Bella by name. All past cats are a little regiment of ghosts that accompany me still. Their individual traits imprint on me, each one. Had a great dog growing up, amazing guy. Now, cats work a little better for us.

Reactions: shikano53

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Hi Kilgore, She wasn't on any medication before any of this started and there were no dietary changes and no insect bites. The vet's diagnosis or theory was that she might have ingested something in the yard. We try real hard to keep the backyard area well maintained and clear of anything she might ingest. Like all dogs, she'll eat grass when she's outside but that has never harmed her in the past. So the bottom line is, I/we, really don't know. She seems to be better now and her stool is the correct color so no blood in her bowel movements.
I took her to the off-leash park today to kick her soccer ball for her and let run. That's her first time back to the off-leash since this whole episode started.
Sorry I couldn't provide you with anything more defined or actual proof positive that yes, "this is what caused the problem."
Cheers

Reactions: Kilgore Trout

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
She might have an ulcer. Pay attention to changes in behaviour: drinking too much water, nose-rubbing/licking her side, avoiding laying down on a given side or in a certain position. Not trying to freak you out, but when we don't know the etiology we must be on the lookout for it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good vet. Didn't wade in with anything invasive and, in this case, let the dog heal. Had a problem with our mackerel tabby eating raw meat. He was rescued as a kitten, didn't get enough of mama's milk with all the immunity it confers, so I think he isn't a resistant as a mom-raised kitten, or that's my theory. The delicate balance of life. No more raw anything for Fred. While many cats eat a vole a day.

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
Might have been something in the house also. Our shepherd/lab pulled out some strands from a Berber carpet and it caused similar symptoms. Our worry was with the threads getting wound around intestines. Luckily it all “passed”.
Glad Jill is ok!

Kilgore Trout

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2019
Hi Kilgore, She wasn't on any medication before any of this started and there were no dietary changes and no insect bites. The vet's diagnosis or theory was that she might have ingested something in the yard. We try real hard to keep the backyard area well maintained and clear of anything she might ingest. Like all dogs, she'll eat grass when she's outside but that has never harmed her in the past. So the bottom line is, I/we, really don't know. She seems to be better now and her stool is the correct color so no blood in her bowel movements.
I took her to the off-leash park today to kick her soccer ball for her and let run. That's her first time back to the off-leash since this whole episode started.
Sorry I couldn't provide you with anything more defined or actual proof positive that yes, "this is what caused the problem."
Cheers
Thanks for the update! I was curious because my dog had a similar issue, with bloody GI symptoms, and it was due to a auto-immune disease called Wells Syndrome.