PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I picked up this old Kaywoodie last weekend at an antique mall. It was in poor, filthy shape when I found it but I knew her potential.
Diptic-12.jpg

The stamping is not very strong but identifies it as another Kaywoodie Handmade, but this is on of the oversize models.
It took a lot of steaming and some topping to get the bowl back to even. I alternated steaming and topping until I was happy with the shape.
After an overnight alcohol soak and a few hours to dry, I lightly sanded with 400 grit wet dry paper. She has a few scratches and a bit of whitish "mold" that I wanted to get rid of. I then stained it with Fiebings Dark Brown cut about 50/50 with 91% isopropyl alcohol. I applied, flamed, buffed and repeated. Then she got buffed and waxed up.
The stem was really deeply marked and took a lot of time and work. I used files, sand paper, micro mesh, plastic polish and wax on it, actually starting over twice to get it as nice as possible. Oh, and did I mention the bit was cracked under all the crud? It was. This was my first time fixing a crack with super glue and was happy with the out come and learning curve (small lol).
Diptic-11.jpg

I'm enjoying a bowl of AJ's VaPer in her now and she's doing real well. Today is my birthday and I figure I did okay on my gift to myself. :puffpipe:

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
Happy birthday Greg!!! Nice find and beautiful clean up :puffpipe:

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Great rescue! Interesting shape, it almost has a Custombilt look to it.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Nice work Greg! Have you tried using Super Glue mixed with activated charcoal powder for stem repairs?

bubblehead33

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2012
Canada
happy belated birthday Greg, and congrats on the pipe. its kinda different looking but it came out looking great! nice job on the resto.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Thanks guys. I appreciate all the comments and birthday wishes.
It is like a new pipe, comparatively speaking, now. I liked that "unique" shape as soon as I laid eyes on it; it does kind of look like a Custom Built. I live the feel of it in my hand but its a heavy block of briar; I know why it had such deep toothmarks in the stem now!
Ed, I've not yet tried using powdered activated carbon with super glue. It sounds like a good idea, mind elaborating in the process? Mix it first, pack it and then drip in the glue … ?
It smoked very well for my first run. But the bottom of the bowl (yes, it does have an echo chamber :rofl:) needs raised, as does that old "German" one, so I spend some time pipe mudding them this morning. I'm looking forward to trying it out again in a few days.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
The way I do it is to use a small mound of the powder(doesn't take much)use your mixing tool to make a small divot in the center of the mound then put a drop or two of glue in that divot.Use your tool to stir in a circular motion to mix. Once the glue starts to thicken slightly apply it to the stem,don't worry about trying to smooth it out to much as it will set up quickly.The more you work it the faster it will set.Usually it can be worked after 10-15 minutes. Use a fine file and sandpaper to smooth and feather it. You may need to do a couple of coats. If any pits appear after sanding use straight Super Glue to fill them. Because of a slight difference in color the repair will be visible if you look closely. The Glue mixture is quite hard and will shine up nicely. This works on plastic and nylon stems as well as vulcanite--as long as they are black.

Status
Not open for further replies.