PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
I know there's oodles of info available all over the net about this, but I wanted to lay down a short diary of my experiences and thoughts.
As a standard statement, I know tastes and preferences are very subjective things, so please take that into account. As so many say, YMMV.
As I mature (with regards to pipe smoking) and my taste preferences change, I have found myself getting away from English blends, or anything containing Latakia basically, and have come to love VaPers. I love the spiciness of the Perique and find a good quality tobacco has a sense of black pepper, especially to the nose when retrohaled.
On my December trip to Vegas I picked up a tin of Escudo, a blend many believe is the optimum VaPer to compliment by current meager stash of that type of blend, mostly Dunhill Elizabethan, and Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake and Luxury Bullseye flake.
For the purpose of this exercise, I left the Dunhill product out due to it's different cut and while some consider LBF not to be a true VaPer because of the Cavendish core in the coins, I included it for three reasons:
1./ I have quite a bit

2./ Except for the dark center, it's identical to Escudo

3./ For my tastes, I find the amount of Cavendish to be on a condimental level only
For the past few days, except for a small bowl of DBE or some Dark Kentucky as a last bowl before bed, I've smoked nothing but the 3 VaPers listed above, and have smoked them in Meers, Cobs, and Briars of different shapes and sizes in order to be as consistent as possible.
Regardless of what blend I smoked or what pipe I was smoking it in, I prepared it the same way; take a coin or 2, or a flake of the LNF, roll it into a ball in my fingers, roll it lightly between my palms and then separate the fibers with my fingers. I gravity fed and then tamped ever so lightly with a finger, and used some small bits left over from the rubbing to cap off the bowl as tinder.
ESCUDO:
On opening the tin for the first time, the scent of something of a fruit nature was definitely there, not as prominent as something like Erinmore Flake, but there nonetheless, and quite pleasant. The flakes were a nearly perfect humidity for smoking, but were stuck together, so sometimes the flake was shredded to get them apart. One single char light, a light tamp and then a true light brings an amazing quantity of smoke, sans the fruity tin note, and a light note of the Perique spiciness complimenting the Virginias. I find through the bowl, the amount of Perique you get in the smoke rises and falls, but never overwhelms the sweetness of the Virginias. Basically a great smoke, obviously made with high quality tobaccos, with an amount of Perique that would be thoroughly enjoyed by a smoker who doesn't want to be overwhelmed by the characteristics of that type of tobacco. Nicotine content I would put at or just a little above medium, something like a 5 or 6 on a scale of 10. Without a doubt, this blend has earned it's reputation.
PS LUXURY NAVY FLAKE:
This blend consists of uniform flakes of standard width, medium thickness and shorter length than most bulk flakes I've had. I get no sense of any fruit essence that is normally associated with Perique blends, just wonderful tobacco scents. I find this smokes and burns nearly identical to Escudo, but maybe because the "fibers" are larger when rubbed out, the profile is slightly different. That being said, they are so close to me, on any given day, I may prefer one or the other. Maybe it's different flakes, maybe smoking nuances on different days and at different times, maybe even slightly different body chemistry. In the vitamin "N" department, I would put this on par with Escudo.
PS LUXURY BULLSEYE FLAKE:
To the eye, this looks nearly identical to Escudo in shape, colour and size, except for the dark circle of Cavendish in the middle. Again, the smoking characteristics of this are nearly identical to Escudo, with the sweetness of Cavendish making the most significant difference, and slightly more Perique, hence more spiciness and pepper. Rubs out identical to Escudo. I did a test and rubbed out a couple of flakes but removed the Cavendish. In my opinion, it would take a seasoned smoker who is quite familiar with both blends to tell the difference between LBF (with Cavendish removed) and Escudo. As for nicotine, I would put this just slightly lower than the other 2. Maybe a 4-4.5 out of 10.
So, we have 3 enjoyable VaPer blends that for my preferences are nearly interchangeable. If you don't like Cavendish in your blends, even on a small percentage basis, you may not enjoy the LBF.
All 3 I enjoy, and as noted, on any given day, all equally so. However, the cost is the factor here, and being Canadian with "less than easy" access to tobacco, that is a big deal. Maybe it's not fair to compare costs on a blend only available in tins to blends only available in bulk, but "dems da breaks", that's what we have to work with here. A lb of Escudo will run you ~ $90 USD (9 tins of 50 gms each = 450 gms and a lb = 454 gms), while a lb EACH of the other 2 will only run you less than $80, or a 1.5 lb box of EACH for a total of $88.
While Escudo may get significantly higher ratings, to me, the 2 most reviewed blends by Peter Stokkebye wins hands down.
Thoughts or comments?
Jamie

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
Thanks for posting: this was an informative read as I've been wanting to try a Va/Per blend. I'd been actually looking at the Escudo and Luxury Navy Flake specifically.

bpftc

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2016
Escudo continues to be my favorite VaPer. But to be fair I have only tried a few. As much as I really want to like Elizabethan mixture it just doesn't do it for me. I prefer the ribbon cut for the ease of packing up pipe but it always tastes flat to me.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
The only Va-Pers I have ever smoked are Dunhill's Deluxe Navy Rolls and Escudo. Some swear they are the same blend in different packaging, citing that they are made in the same factory. Some swear they are different. What I have found after smoking many tins of both, is that both blends vary in appearance and taste to some degree from tin to tin, and also depending on age. I have had 2 tins of DNR or 2 tins of Escudo that look and taste subtly different from one another.
That said, in general I have found DNR smoother and with less of the peppery tongue sensation. It may be that they are the identical blend but DNR is left to age more before being tinned or shipped. I don't know, but after buying and smoking many tins of Escudo in the interest of economy, I have returned to DNR. To me the smoothness is worth the extra coin...no pun intended ;)
And that said, I far prefer Dunhill's Flake, which is pure Va with no Perique, to DNR. I really don't like the peppery sensation much. I have relegated DNR to an occasional smoke. Flake is my go-to.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
You might find a few blends worth reviewing somewhere within this thread:

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=8215

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Somehow, as I approach my second full year of pipe smoking, I find myself using VA and VaPa blends, flakes or coins, as 'contrast' bowls or transition bowls. Smoking them all day doesn't interest me, but I enjoy them for a change.

I buy bulk blends for the economy of it too, and I agree that PS LNF works as a very nice VaPer.

Most of the blends I smoke all day contain some burley.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
To my tastes both of the PS flakes are very different than Escudo. Neither PS has the content of perique Escuudo has. Both of the PS flakes have significant amounts of red viriginia where as Escudo has none. I have also found the PS offerings milder than Escudo with less nose to them. The Escudo ages much better than the PS blends as Escudo gets creamier and the fruit and fig flavors come alive where as these flavors and creaminess are not nearly as pronounced in the PS blends. Escudo turns black after 10 years and the PS blends darken somewhat but not even close to Escudo.
To the question about Escudo being the same as Deluxe Navy Rolls, I believe they are different. The DNR is sweeter and less peppery to my tastes and when I compared the coins, one of them was larger, I forget which one.

Do Stokkebye blends even age? I have many jars of LTF, LBF, and LNF and they seem suspended in time, like they probably are loaded with preservatives. All of my McClelland and H&H bulk has turned black in color, and my PS stuff just looks as fresh as the day I put it in the jars.
Some will complain about that cavendish center part, but have you ever loaded a bowl entirely of the center parts? It really doesn't have much of a taste. I can't see loving it or hating it. It's just, eh.
I also find that LNF does have a strong casing in the flavor. It's like that aroma you get when you go into a store that sells cowboy boots. I love it, but there is a flavor there that is not tobacco.
My favorite smoke is to stack a flake of LNF and LTF and twist them together and stuff them. The flavor of these two compliment each other very well, and on some days, I will smoke it all day long without getting fatigued with it at all. But, I do wonder if they've loaded these with PG. I also find it interesting that when you order a whole box of the stuff from PS, the tobacco is not sealed at all. The plastic bag is just closed with one small piece of tape. That suggests that it is loaded with PG, since the tobacco had to be shipped across the world to get here.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I have found Escudo greatly improves with as little as a year in the tin.
Also, don't overlook St James Woods. It's a wonderful VaPer.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I really like GLP Telegraph Hill. Just the right amount of Perique, easy packing ribbon cut and the flavor is anything but flat. Of course right now I have a tin of 99 St. James Flake open that ain't half bad either.
Mike S.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I probably smoke Anniversary Kake more than any other VaPer, which I find to be very rich and flavorful. For me the perique in that blend comes off more dark fruit than pepper. I love escudo as well, which I get more pepper from. I also think it has a lot of citrus from the vas. Not bright citrus, but more like a lemon curd sort of thing.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
Just goes to show.
In my hands, the Stokkebye flakes taste different from Escudo, as well. With or without the cavendish. Escudo seems to have a fuller, smoother profile whereas the PS flakes seem to be less dimensional and a little rougher around the edges.
Not saying one is better than the other...just saying that we all do things at different speeds.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
Escudo seems to have a fuller, smoother profile whereas the PS flakes seem to be less dimensional and a little rougher around the edges.
I would have to agree with that, but to me, the price difference (3 lbs PS Vs. a lb of Escudo) changes things.
Great discussion folks, thanks for chiming in. Numerous well thought and written opinions of varying preferences.
One VaPer on my short list, that I haven't smoked in years, isn't mentioned above. What are your opinions of 2015?

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
My favorite is rubbing out flakes of P S Luxury Navy and Mac Baren ODF together. Awesome combination that I smoke daily.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
the price difference (3 lbs PS Vs. a lb of Escudo) changes things.
I prefer quality over quantity and would rather smoke less than smoke less-than-the-best, but as they say,YMMV.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
I prefer quality over quantity and would rather smoke less than smoke less-than-the-best, but as they say,YMMV.
In many cases, yes. I could probably buy Half & Half for a fraction of the price we pay for FVF, BCF, etc, but I don't, nor will I.
But in the case of the tobaccos shown above, there is only a slight difference at the best of times.
Also (as noted above), me being on the expensive side of the Canadian border where tobacco is generally not as available as it is to our American cousins, that makes a difference as well.

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
GL Pease Telegraph Hill is also a decent VaPer. I find it benefits from a larger bowl but it is an easy smoking VaPer with good flavor the entire bowl.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
To the eye, this looks nearly identical to Escudo in shape, colour and size, except for the dark circle of Cavendish in the middle. Again, the smoking characteristics of this are nearly identical to Escudo, with the sweetness of Cavendish making the most significant difference, and slightly more Perique, hence more spiciness and pepper. Rubs out identical to Escudo. I did a test and rubbed out a couple of flakes but removed the Cavendish. In my opinion, it would take a seasoned smoker who is quite familiar with both blends to tell the difference between LBF (with Cavendish removed) and Escudo.
I found that to be the same thing, but after smoking through almost a tin of escudo now you can tell the difference. The allowing the escudo to breathe brings out the differences, when I first popped the tin I didn't find it much different than LBF but now after about 2 weeks it's definitely different. I would still rate St. James Woods by McC's as my all time favorite VaPer, it's just drastically different than escudo or LBF, whereas LBF and escudo do have alot of similarities.

Status
Not open for further replies.