My Barn Find Pipe

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmason

Preferred Member
Jan 27, 2013
Today after being done with class for the day, I went over to an antique store down by the college and while there I noticed that they restocked there pipes (I cleared a lot out last time) and after it was all said and done I ended up with this
[/url][/img] a Master Craft pipe for a messily 5 bucks and it even comes with it's own medical needle
[/url][/img] The only thing wrong with the pipe was that it was a little charred on the rim and I think the person who owned it originally only smoked it once, I mean there is literally no cake what so ever. I did a quick restore by soaking the stem in oxyclean and polishing the stummle and here is the end result.
[/url][/img] While it does look almost identical to the first I accidentally removed the logo on the stem, then removed the burn on the rim and finally pulled the stinger out.

~Ron

petes03

Preferred Member
Jun 23, 2013
That's what I love about antique stores, you can find great pipes for cheap! I've found all kinds of good stuff at them, like a 1960's Charatan for $6, a gold mustache Caminetto Business for $22 ect. ! Sometimes you'll see some of them wanting $25+ for a beat up MM cob, but sometimes you find gems! I'm still waiting to find a birth year Dunhill for $1, but I'll probably be waiting for a while! Nice find and great cleanup!

rmason

Preferred Member
Jan 27, 2013
Sam I didn't lose the logo in the oxy clean I hit the stem with my buffer and it started to chip off so I just said screw it and removed all of it.

~Ron

mso489

Preferred Member
Feb 21, 2013
I'm seeking out pipes in all the wrong places. This one sounds nearly unsmoked. Best I've seen was a

Dr. Grabow with a nice nickel band, but the bit was pretty chewed up, in upstate NY. You must live in

pipe smoking country.

rmason

Preferred Member
Jan 27, 2013
Mso this is the best I've found in a while I usually find the same things in terms of the Grabows, I'm still waiting to find a 1930's or 40's unsmoked Dunhill for cheap.

~Ron

rmason

Preferred Member
Jan 27, 2013
Nice looking Master Craft, Ron. I hope she smokes well for you!
I hope as well, tonight is the first night I will get to smoke it and I'm definitely going for either Old Hollywood or Dark Star (if it has finally dried enough to smoke).

~Ron

rmason

Preferred Member
Jan 27, 2013
Roth I got some cubed, but how long should it sit after it is cubed?

~Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.