PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Well let's see them!
Okay so this isn't a stick figure but it's something I'm working with my 2 year old daughter on. My mom taught me it when I was a kid.

Mostly it's simple shapes. Start with an oval (the bottom of the face). Draw a smaller inside (the nose). The teeth are rectangles. Etc.

My version:

IMG_20210226_205417395.jpg

My daughter's version:

IMG_20210226_193514693.jpg

I'm trying to expose her to lots of reading, art, and logic (my favorite). I'm one of those weird guys who reads books about math. I've no artistic skills whatsoever though but I love art.

BTW, for anyone reading this and interested, I got the LCD tablet for about $22 on amazon and it's amazing for a kid. Lightweight and durable. It's like a modern version of old school slates. Just push the cats nose and it erases everything. You can even use your fingernails to draw.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Awesome art @eljimmy ????

When I was a kid I wanted to be an illustrator, but life got in the way. I still like to draw once in a while for personal entertainment. My wife is a natural artist, she went to college for video game art and design until I got her pregnant. Our 14 year old daughter is a far better artist than either of us at her age, she draws dragons on every available surface.

I drew this little picture recently for the pastor of my church:

View attachment 68124
How about an...

Smart_ass.jpg

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle

Mandala for 2020:
994bf810239144842c88fb037fff614b.jpg

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Okay so this isn't a stick figure but it's something I'm working with my 2 year old daughter on. My mom taught me it when I was a kid.

Mostly it's simple shapes. Start with an oval (the bottom of the face). Draw a smaller inside (the nose). The teeth are rectangles. Etc.

My version:

View attachment 68164

My daughter's version:

View attachment 68165

I'm trying to expose her to lots of reading, art, and logic (my favorite). I'm one of those weird guys who reads books about math. I've no artistic skills whatsoever though but I love art.

BTW, for anyone reading this and interested, I got the LCD tablet for about $22 on amazon and it's amazing for a kid. Lightweight and durable. It's like a modern version of old school slates. Just push the cats nose and it erases everything. You can even use your fingernails to draw.
My daughter has one of those pads, but not cat shaped. It has survived for 7 years, surprisingly.

Great drawings, art time with little kids is the best.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
This thread got me thinking about this assignment I had in a Systematics of Birds class I took a while back. In short, we had 12 different physical attribute categories of an imaginary bird, each containing 10-12 options. The assignment generated a random trait/description in each of the categories so that the final output was just a mashup of characteristics that didn’t necessarily go together. The result was obviously not a bird that actually existed. The object was for us to demonstrate our understanding of avian topography by illustrating the bird the assignment had randomly generated for us. I don’t know why, but I put a bunch of time into drawing this prehistoric tweetie bird looking merganser dove. I found it really difficult because I didn’t really have any type of reference material, so it had to come from my mind.

1E7D6568-6867-4F9B-8BAF-2DFA7D2CD058.jpeg

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I just couldn't. I'm pretty sure, if left up to me, 6 inch fangs would be involved.

A sabre-toothed turkey perhaps?

Haha! Well, they were real characteristics of birds, just not necessarily on the same bird. Like, for instance, you might get webbed feet from waterfowl and a curved bill like a raptor, or pamprodactyl feet like on some swifts with a spoon shaped bill like some aquatic birds.

But fangs would be incredible!

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California

My version:

View attachment 68164

My daughter's version:

View attachment 68165

That’s cool man! You see, give yourself some credit. All in relaxing and easing the mind

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
This thread got me thinking about this assignment I had in a Systematics of Birds class I took a while back. In short, we had 12 different physical attribute categories of an imaginary bird, each containing 10-12 options. The assignment generated a random trait/description in each of the categories so that the final output was just a mashup of characteristics that didn’t necessarily go together. The result was obviously not a bird that actually existed. The object was for us to demonstrate our understanding of avian topography by illustrating the bird the assignment had randomly generated for us. I don’t know why, but I put a bunch of time into drawing this prehistoric tweetie bird looking merganser dove. I found it really difficult because I didn’t really have any type of reference material, so it had to come from my mind.

View attachment 68169
That sounds like a fun project. Really good shading man!

Reactions: ofafeather
Status
Not open for further replies.