PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Out of curiosity, I checked and found I bought my Altinay Meer near the end of January 2021. Right at 2 years ago. Here are some new and now photos. I've smoked this pipe almost every day, it's safe to say it has over 600 bowls smoked. Hasn't colored as much as I might have expected but when closely examined, it's starting to get really dark at the base below the carved edges. I water rinse to clean and have not added any wax or took particular care to preserve the wax.

I'm not sure if this is the expected coloring amount of not, seems less to me. But this pipe smokes really, really good so I don't care much. Perhaps it is coloring less because this pipe had only had Virginia Flake smoked in it. Most bowls smoke down to ash or very close.

F5DF567B-21EA-485F-8001-D489214A757C.jpeg

F7A3248D-1C62-4EC5-B01D-58E8A0A1B8BB.jpeg
8EFF9394-CBE3-439F-902E-D83AEC6E74F7.jpeg

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The way that is coloring almost uniformly over the whole bowl is pretty amazing. I wasn't a huge fan of carved meerschaums initially but they are growing on me and that one is really well done
I have a smooth SRV Bulldog. It shows nicks and scrapes clearly. I prefer the carved Meers. They feel better to hold and don't show the wear and tear so much. I doubt I would buy another smooth.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Looks great!
I was going to ask how thick the chamber walls are because if they are quite thick that might slow the coloring but then you’d expect the shank to be much darker than the outside of the bowl.

It’s really cool (and a bit perplexing) that the whole pipe is coloring at basically the same rate.
Fairly thick, around 1/2".

image.jpg

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I have a smooth SRV Bulldog. It shows nicks and scrapes clearly. I prefer the carved Meers. They feel better to hold and don't show the wear and tear so much. I doubt I would buy another smooth.
The coloring on this meer is beautiful! Honestly the walls are so thicc and the block is so dense and heavy that the coloring was always going to go slowly. Also your reasons for disliking the smooth meers are the exact reasons why I prefer them. I like the rougher look that they develop from the wear and tear.