Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I was fortunate enough to grab a few pounds of 5105 back in late 2017, early 2018 as McClelland stock was flying off the shelves. Not my favorite blend but I thought, it's McClelland in bulk at a good price, so why not? I jarred most of it but left some in an apothecary jar and set it aside. Ran across it a couple of weeks ago, it was dried substantially (note: apothecary jars clearly aren't suitable for long term storage) but tasted good. I decided to rehydrate it or at least try to.

So the question was, how to do this with the least amount of effort. I ultimately decided to take an empty plastic water bottle, cut off the top portion and put some beads with distilled water in it, place this in the top of the apothecary jar, then close. Within 2 days, I had to refresh the water. Not nearly as much water was absorbed in the ensuing week. The end result however is the tobacco now seems to be a perfect moisture. I'm smoking a bowl as I speak. I will likely use this approach again in the future. As you can see, a few pieces of tobacco ended up getting into the beads and discolored them a bit. Not a problem, probably fifty cents worth of beads if that, throwing them away.

IMG_2110.jpg
IMG_2111.jpg

IMG_2112.jpg

alexander87

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2017
I have an ounce or so of some Murray’s era Dunhill Standard that needs rehydrating. I’ll try a Boveda pack. I’ve had good results just dripping distilled water into a mason jar full of dried leaf and then shaking it. I watch it for a few days and add more water as necessary. Usually like 20-30ml at a time or less.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I have an ounce or so of some Murray’s era Dunhill Standard that needs rehydrating. I’ll try a Boveda pack. I’ve had good results just dripping distilled water into a mason jar full of dried leaf and then shaking it. I watch it for a few days and add more water as necessary. Usually like 20-30ml at a time or less.
I recently brought some Murray’s era erinmore mixture back up to case using a humidifier disc. Took a couple of days. Would have left it any longer though

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy