PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I was looking to pick up a Kirsten Pipe and found out they are less than a mile from my house in Seattle! So I went there to buy one and found out they are 100% out of stock for the next 4 to 6 months! I saw a really nice Savinelli Bumble Bee with Tamper. I had already had the Savi Tiger and the other one on order. I really like how they smoke and think they are good value. The Tobacco is the HH Mature Virginia. I have really been struggling with this tobacco. My first 2 bowls were awful so per the advice on this website, I dried it out. Now it's forrest-fire dry. I smoked a bowl this AM and it just wasn't happening for me. Need to think about this. Anyway.. here are the pics.

Z
Savi-1.jpg

Savi-4.jpg

Savi-7.jpg

Savi-8.jpg

Savi-10.jpg

I like this pic the best.....

Savi-12.jpg

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Opps. Here is the HH Mature Virginia. I decided to keep the tobacco in a mason jar because I love this jar so much I think I'll use it for my Hobbits Weed. :D
Savi-5.jpg

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Kirstens give a good smoke. They're extremely easy to clean too. Missouri Meerschaum used to make corn cob bowls for them. I've seen a few on ebay, they went for around $50. Meerschaum bowls are available too. I'v also seen free hand bowls on ebay, beautiful. mine is a straight one, but I suggest getting a full bent. I think they look way cooler.

pipe8

Might Stick Around
Jan 3, 2013
Nice pipes! I too have the Savinelli Miele and Oscar Tiger. Both mine are straight pipes though..

I'm pretty annoyed my Oscar Tiger came with the most pathetic amount of yellow acrylic in the stem it's completely covered by the softy when I smoke it...
You’re very lucky!

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Yes Ub - I am thinking of the bent or the full bent. I was amazed the guy didnt have any to show me though. He had a few "spare parts" in a drawer that were straights.

sebastian

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2013
That Honey Bee is a beautiful pipe. I was looking at it online last night. I may have to get one for myself. Let's hear how she smokes.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
yes, Pipe8, when I saw these I really pounced on them. I really like these stems on these Savi's. They smoke great too. Do you keep the filters in there? I'm going back and forth if I want to keep them in or not. I have 1 other pipe with a filter and didnt like the pipe. Then I took out the filter to "try it" and now I love that pipe.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Sebastain - I have only about 4 or 5 bowls through her and it's really wonderful and smooth. Probably on par with my Boswells. The pics dont do her justice because the color contrast and wood are really beautiful.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Well Roth - I am taking that advice. Im going to seal it up for about a year and try it then. With so many people who love this tobacco and I'm the guy who doesnt care for it, i assume its my freshman palate that is the problem here. We'll see what happens next Dec. :)

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I didn't care much for Virginia's myself, at first. They all tasted ashy to me. Decided then to give it one last go around, with a brand new Dr. Grabow Royalton pipe, with a filter. I smoked some Christmas Cheer 2008 that I opened in December of 2010. It was lightly sweet, tasted slightly of red wine, and was absolutely excellent. Then, I tried some Sterling Old Dominion, and found that it too was similar and very tasty. I seem to enjoy them most first thing in the morning.

Since then, I have had a few samples of aged Virginia's sent to me through the forum, and I will be trying some Sam Gawith Full Virginia Flake. I have a dedicated Peterson Grafton Rhodesian that I purchased as an estate, as well as the Royalton, and I look forward to that first sweet Virginia every morning. Granted, they are both filter pipes, but there may be something in the smoke that doesn't work with my chemistry, and the filter is removing it. Who knows? I have 74 other pipes without filters, and smoke Englishes and aromatics without that ashy taste.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I think ill prob smoke them until the filters are dirty but not replace them. How many bowls should I get before I replace the filter?

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
Those Sav's loom great! I love the natural look of the honey, and thats a really cool yellow stem. Don't the honey's come pre-sweetened or something?
I do not own a filtered pipe, but I read up on them and it looks like most replace the filter every 1-3 bowls. I almost bought a Sav churchwarden that came filtered, but ended up not purchasing. I am fairly certain I will not use the filters if I do buy one.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
They honey bee didnt come pre-sweetened to my knowledge. I think it has the yellow bee hive look and it came with a bee hive looking tamper. Im becoming a big fan of these Savs. Not too expensive and I think they smoke great.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
I have several myself and enjoy them all as well. One is a 1970 Billiard with a cavernous bowl on it. The others are an Oom Paul and a Leonardo dublin bowl 1/4 bent both are less than a year old. For the life of me I can't tell the difference between new and old as far as smokablility. Peterson do you hear me???!!!

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
mustanggt, I'd like to understand your comment a little better about Peterson. Are you saying that over time, the Petes don't smoke as well? Great to hear about the Savi's though since these three are my first. I've spent the weekend so far only smoking them and I thoroughly enjoy them.

pipe8

Might Stick Around
Jan 3, 2013
Don't use filters there buddy, just the adaptor.

If I use the filters I'd use them once then bin it, I strip the pipe and clean it good, I don't want a stale old tarred up filter in a clean pipe, they are so cheap it seems a crime to not give a new bowl a clean filter.

Up to you, and I understand it’s not a problem reusing them, I just don’t want to hold onto it either as it will no doubt stink.

If you don’t mind, listen to Rothn, very well answered.

Status
Not open for further replies.