PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
For sure! Love me some STP also RIP Scott Weiland. I love Chris and Soundgarden. He had an awesome voice for sure but I do favor Scott and STP over Chris and Soundgarden. Audioslave was also killer!!! All of these great artists gone way too soon.

... particularly from one of my favorite genre- Alt/Grunge- above^^^ and including:

Layne Staley- Alice in Chains
Kurt Cobain- Nirvana
Shannon Hoon- Blind Melon
Andrew Wood- Mother Love Bone/Peal Jam/Temple of the Dog
Bradley Nowell- Sublime
Chester Bennington- Linkin Park/STP

... names that quickly come to mind, but many more, which is sad. I hate to think about the music that they would’ve created, but what they left behind is certainly cherished.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
For sure! Love me some STP also RIP Scott Weiland. I love Chris and Soundgarden. He had an awesome voice for sure but I do favor Scott and STP over Chris and Soundgarden. Audioslave was also killer!!! All of these great artists gone way too soon.
I saw STP on July 31 2000 and was blown away- Cornell was a genius as well - I was disappointed as I always wanted to listen to his voice live - Every one and a while true artists like the Jim Morrisons of the world appear and disappear.

Reactions: Ebarber and STP

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
... particularly from one of my favorite genre- Alt/Grunge- above^^^ and including:

Layne Staley- Alice in Chains
Kurt Cobain- Nirvana
Shannon Hoon- Blind Melon
Andrew Wood- Mother Love Bone/Peal Jam/Temple of the Dog
Bradley Nowell- Sublime
Chester Bennington- Linkin Park/STP

... names that quickly come to mind, but many more, which is sad. I hate to think about the music that they would’ve created, but what they left behind is certainly cherished.
I got hooked on Alice in Chains, still am. I've seen them live a couple of times with the new singer. He isn't Layne, of course, but the music carries the show well enough.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I got hooked on Alice in Chains, still am. I've seen them live a couple of times with the new singer. He isn't Layne, of course, but the music carries the show well enough.
AC/DC is about the only band I can think of that was equally good both before and after losing a frontman. One of those rare occasions when lighting struck twice in the same place.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA

Yes, I agree, Willian DuVall has done a good job, but Jerry Cantrell is really the architect is recreating the familiar AIC’s harmonics, and providing the illusion of Layne’s vocal presence IMO. Nonetheless, DuVall can certainly carry a show ?

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Saw STP with Meatpuppets in 1994, Nirvana in 1993.

The Nirvana one I was actually working backstage which was cool.
I used to hang out with Red Hot Chili Pepper Roadies and Groupies when I was in my late teens and early twenties- the closest thing to the early-mid-90's grunge was seeing QOTSA when the opened for the peppers- I also got to meet The Mars Volta - who were kind of alright I guess

Reactions: 3rdguy

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
I like Alice In Chains as well. I like both Layne Staley and William DuVall. I think their new music is really good and have seen them with DuVall. For me, bands like Nirvana, SoundGarden, Alice In Chains were a breath of fresh air when they came out. I was in my early thirties when those bands came on the scene. I loved many of the 70's bands (my high school years), but those eighties hair bands really did nothing for me.