PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
7AD39DA0-456A-4CAF-9385-92C745BC0801.jpeg7F2194D7-3D7F-46D8-AE49-463413A3C79D.jpeg02377472-4A09-4089-BA6A-2A660C7EBAC2.jpeg
My first Caminetto arrived today, it doesn’t appear to have been used all that much. It has some little dings on the rim (looks like they might be from knocking the ash out). Little bit of tooth chatter on the stem, but overall pretty good.

I’ve kind of been lusting after this for a while, and the seller took my offer for it. I’m happy, I know it isn’t a “high-end” pipe, but it is probably about as high-end as I will get in the foreseeable future (I say that but I’m also listing after some IMP meerschaum pipes as well).

One thing I didn’t see in the ad pictures is that the axis of the shank is twisted. For a moment I thought it was a defect, but after looking over the pipe carefully it is obvious it is not a defect. It seems to have been made that way on purpose.

I have looked on the web to try and find info on the stamping, it has a sequence of 08 R 19. On one website it was mentioned that the 19 refers to the year it was made, as in 19 years from 1986 (when Caminetto became a producer again). Is that true? Hoping someone can translate that stamping for me. I did a lot of googling, but never found what I thought were definitive answers about it.

Enough of my yapping, I’m going to get this thing sanitized and ready to smoke.