PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
558788_10151598873091944_2097250313_n-150x100.jpg

62648_10151551950095795_2143745820_n-450x600.jpg

Well Gent's I sit here tonight unable to get to town every route is flooded out. The main hiway that takes me to town is underwater and the bridge down the road is impassable. Thankfully I have a Generator, lots of wood for the woodstove and enough food to last a week. Unbelieveable how much damage has been done to the town and surrounding areas. At least I have my pipes and a good stock of Irish Whiskey and lots of tobacco. Everyone is here safe and sound. Now if it would just stop bloody raining!

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I am judging by your ability to post this you still have power as well. Hope all is well. Gives a whole new meaning to cellar (unless UPS can airdrop a package to you). Stay warm and dry.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
Thanks Glenn, yes so far we are staying warm and dry. Our house sits up quite a way from the river but nothing will suprise me. I never thought in a million years the hiway would flood and start to wash away either. The neighbour has a backhoe and he has dug us both an irrigation pond just in a case.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
Wise words Mike, my old man said bitching about the weather will yield the same result as pissing into the wind. Your bound to get wet and nobody is going to want to be anywhere close to you! LOL

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Move about with great caution in the flood. My wife, as a reporter in the Missouri flooding of the Mississippi River

in 1993, was nearly beheaded when a boat in which she was riding, to get a closer look at the flooded areas,

sped under a sagging power line that caught her under the chin. The doc who stitched her up said it was about

an eighth of an inch from opening her jugular. Stay put or move about with great care.

brassonly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2012
Hey Piper , I hope everything works out ok for you & everyone living in your area. Floods are so destructive,back in 1979 our area here in Northern Ontario experienced one & it was not easy. Hopefully the rain stops soon & the water can start going down . The road going to my house got washed out on Thursday with all the rain & melting snow the culvert just couldn't keep up . We just got it fixed up again this afternoon. Quite a few of our highways are still closed this weekend because of wash out due to all this rain. I'm also glad I can now enjoy the rest of the weekend with some of my pipes & favourite tobaccos. Take care .

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
Thanks Brass, I hope everything works out for your area too. We are thankfully in a high dry area but many neigbours have lost homes and there is nothing we can do to help. Makes you feel pretty helpless. Volunteered my boat and motor yesterday to the fire dept but even with everything going on apperantly insurance concerns prevent that. I'm not sure what this world is coming too. So here I sit and pray for those who are directly effected. At least everyone was able to get out. Hiway 11 is completely closed now south of Burks Falls They are hoping to have one route out for us today but I would rather them focus on getting those effected directly sorted out first. I have enough food for a week and so do the neighbours around me. I suspect that due to the fact we are on a shared grid with an area that is heavily flooded we might lose power today at some point.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Good luck to you piper. I was flooded almost 3 years ago and we're hoping to be done with all repair work this summer (finally). Very costly and difficult, but we pulled through thanks to many people helping and a lot of hard work.
I personally see this as a result of climate change - more extreme weather events are expected and the best we can do is take care of our own the best we can.
Sounds like you're doing okay, but I feel bad for you and your neighbors - best of luck.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Piper: keep yourself and family dry and safe. Here in Tennessee we had a stretch of hail, high winds, thunderstorms, downed power lines, etc., a year or so ago. The only thing we didn't get were locusts.
I lost power for over a week. No backup generator. Lost everything in the fridge. No lights for a week. Then we had to go through the roof repair wars.
I feel your pain, but as long as you and your family are safe and dry, (I include your pipes and tobacco in that) you will come through fine. The rest is just something else to deal with, the usual things in life, sort of.
Sorry for the philosophizing. Stay safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.