motie2

Lurker
Mar 31, 2015
30 minutes west of Manhattan

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Heh. I like Middleton Cherry quite a bit, but apparently not enough to know whether you can even still buy it anywhere. The recent Cherry is nothing like the stuff from the '70s. That was truly abhorrent, much too strongly topped, and actually kind of a joke among both those who liked it and those who did not. Seems like Mixture No. 79 is the same deal, another that I once abhorred and now like. On the other hand, I could have a brain tumor or something, and it's affecting my judgment.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
how old is that tin? I'd try it from that tin, even if I still don't like the blend. That tin is awesome.
Probably late 1960's - early 1970's if I had to guess. It was a little on the dry side and bitey when I got it. I rehydrated it, and now it's been jarred for several years.

It's a pleasant smoke. Cherry flavor is very slightly medicinal, with more of a maraschino or cherry heering liqueur flavor, as opposed to the cherry flavoring in Lane Dark Red, Very Cherry or Cult Blood Red Moon, if that makes any sense.

Reactions: Donb1972

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I may have smoked that blend in 1981 when I first attempted smoking a pipe... I don't really remember. I figure it was either Half & Half or Middleton's Cherry blend. Both were regular items on store end caps by the checkout in the Base Exchange. One or the other and a blister pack Grabow or Kaywoodie.

I had a roommate who smoked a pipe around that time too. I don't know what the blend was but it smelled like armpit and jockstrap. Putrid.

Taste...? It was what it was. My first swig of beer tasted like shit; coffee, cigarettes, hard liquor, etc.

My first foray into pipe smoking was fraught with disappointment. I didn't know what I was doing and I think after a few weeks I gave up. Probably tossed the pipe and what was left of the tobacco in the dumpster when I PCS'ed to the UK.

In 1988, I discovered premium cigars. In 1990 I revisited pipes, since the local B&M where I was buying cigars had a good selection of pipes and tobaccos...