PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Sobie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2021
Allen Park, Michigan
So two months into piping, I'm mustering the courage to step up and make my first big order (not 2 oz of This and That). I realize there are literally thousands of blends out there to try, and while I aim to try them, one needs a comfortable base of operations to leap from, and I have concluded thusly:

I like my burley in the morning.

I like a VaPer at lunchtime.

I savor a Balkan in the evening.

I aim to nab a pound of each, and preferably in bulk because I'm a budget-conscious fun seeker, and humbly submit this list for your expert perusal. That and I just love talking tobaccos.

1 lb Arango
1 lb Sutliff Edgeworth Match
2 tins OGS
4 oz Newminster 400
4 oz Stokkebye LNF

I have 3 different VaPer flakes because I KNOW I love OGS, and while $16.99 for 100g isn't bad, it's still more than Newminster and LNF so these three will be fighting for my affections.

Also what say you, O Bards of Briar, about the Sutliff Edgeworth? I like PA, I like CH, but I wanna try a bulk codger burley. But if you convince me vehemently enough I might try a can of Granger instead.

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
All good solid picks. The Arango Balkan Supreme is a nice evening smoke and for the price really is difficult to beat. Not as luxurious as some other options, but still a very solid smoke.

I recently made a big order for what would be a 'British' codger blend (as in nearly a shag cut, traditionally smoked by old English fishermen) as I'm missing home.

Virginia/Burley "Dark Birdseye" and "Kendal Dark". I think Dark Birdseye is probably the one to try. Kendal has a bit more of the Lakeland to it.

As a warning, they are quite powerful. However, suitably unique to stand out from the crowd. They contain dark fired African (Malawi) Virginias as well as dark fired Kentucky. If you've never tried it, it's quite unique.

Jim Sobie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2021
Allen Park, Michigan
All good solid picks. The Arango Balkan Supreme is a nice evening smoke and for the price really is difficult to beat. Not as luxurious as some other options, but still a very solid smoke.

I recently made a big order for what would be a 'British' codger blend (as in nearly a shag cut, traditionally smoked by old English fishermen) as I'm missing home.

Virginia/Burley "Dark Birdseye" and "Kendal Dark". I think Dark Birdseye is probably the one to try. Kendal has a bit more of the Lakeland to it.

As a warning, they are quite powerful. However, suitably unique to stand out from the crowd. They contain dark fired African (Malawi) Virginias as well as dark fired Kentucky. If you've never tried it, it's quite unique.
Yeah I really enjoy SPC Plum Pudding and I LOVE the crumble cake cut, but it's $40 for 8 oz whereas a full pound of Arango can be had for practically the same price, and it's still a lovely evening smoke.

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
Yeah I really enjoy SPC Plum Pudding and I LOVE the crumble cake cut, but it's $40 for 8 oz whereas a full pound of Arango can be had for practically the same price, and it's still a lovely evening smoke.
Exactly what I meant.

My personal preference for an oriental forward English in bulk is Rattray's Red Rapparee; which you can get in 17.5oz bags for just over $70, which's still double the price of Balkan Supreme... but I apparently hate money.

Jim Sobie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2021
Allen Park, Michigan
Exactly what I meant.

My personal preference for an oriental forward English in bulk is Rattray's Red Rapparee; which you can get in 17.5oz bags for just over $70, which's still double the price of Balkan Supreme... but I apparently hate money.
In addition to my day job, I also have a stalled novel on my hands, do stand-up when we're not in the midst of a pandemic, and also maintain a boyish hope of getting into voice acting.

I promised myself that if I ever make a red cent from any of these ventures, I intend to squander it on pipes, tobacco, and a project car. Not necessarily in that order. Unless the novel sells fabulously well.

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
Good choices. OGS, LNF and Newminster 400 are all worth having on hand. Each is noticeably different but all are solid smokes. For a stouter dose of perique, give C&D Bayou Morning or Kajun Kake a try.

If you haven't tried them yet, consider the following burleys:
C&D Pegasus
C&D Haunted Bookshop
C&D Old Joe Krantz
C&D Redburn
Stokkebye Toasted Burley

You might also toss in a sample of C&D Super Balkan

Reactions: Jim Sobie
Status
Not open for further replies.