PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
How would you guys pack up 1000 C&D type tins for a move?
I might copy what one of the European venders does with the tins they ship to me.
As @kschatey said, make stacks, then wrap with a commercial type stretch wrap. You can get this at Home Depot, Walmart etc. This makes a fairly stable unit. These stacks can then be placed in a box or tote, then add some paper or peanuts for stability as needed.
The tins I’ve ordered from Germany have made it halfway around the world to the PNW with no trouble.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'd buy the larger, deep plastic totes and some thin styrofoam. Pack a later, lay down styrofoam, rinse and repeat. If you're really worried, stuff some bubble wrap in any gaps to inhibit movement. That's the key, to inhibit movement so they're not banging around.

Reactions: ofafeather

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Hoosier and I both did the plastic totes. He had some pictures up awhile ago of it.

It worked well and I am pretty sure we each had around 2000 tins.

• Wow
Reactions: BROBS

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
Hoosier and I both did the plastic totes. He had some pictures up awhile ago of it.

It worked well and I am pretty sure we each had around 2000 tins.

What do y’all mean by plastic totes?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
What do y’all mean by plastic totes?
847170001785.jpg

Reactions: 3rdguy

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Wait... so what's the big deal? I've moved my cellar twice, and all I've ever done with tins is put them all in a box and moved them. Not a single one was damaged; however, if one or three got dented, I wouldn't sweat it... especially if it's just C&D stuff ;)puffy
I’d just throw C&D tins in a big yard waste bag

• Haha
Reactions: 3rdguy

jon11

Oct 25, 2013
Wait... so what's the big deal? I've moved my cellar twice, and all I've ever done with tins is put them all in a box and moved them. Not a single one was damaged; however, if one or three got dented, I wouldn't sweat it... especially if it's just C&D stuff ;)puffy

Lol...Its actually 500 Mcclelland tins and 500 C&D tins

jon11

Oct 25, 2013
Gotcha on the plastic totes....it would take at least 10 of those for 1000 tins correct?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Gotcha on the plastic totes....it would take at least 10 of those for 1000 tins correct?
Probably. Maybe more. Do you have to move them all at one time? You could move a couple totes, unload them then go fill them back up again. Unless this is a distant move or needs to be completed in a short time.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Not sure how you're moving, doing the move yourself and renting a truck....
U-Haul (locally here) has these plastic totes to rent for $1.50 each for a week. So a dozen totes would cost you $18 for a week.
1596900639984.png
They're perfect if you don't want to purchase totes and then have all those totes sitting around...unless you plan on storing all of your tins in them.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I should add I then put the totes in my personal vehicle and moved them. They were not packed into a moving truck with everything else from the house.

I always just use cardboard boxes. I even keep most of mine in boxes. They're cheap, and serve the purpose of just holding the tins while you carry them to the truck, and then from truck to new house. I mean, unless you hired the Harlem Globetrotters to load and unload, have to drive down a hundred miles of pock marked dirt roads, or this move involves an air drop, I wouldn't worry about it.

jon11

Oct 25, 2013
They are actually going to go in a climate controlled storage unit until the new house is built. Staying with in laws and they don’t have room for all my baccy.