PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Likely aged for film purposes. Easy enough to do with hot water or steam.
Yeah, maybe so. I’m shocked anyone on set knew to do that. I haven’t seen the movie yet, does the pipe have any importance in the film?
I do remember reading now that most of Clint Eastwood’s props/clothes came from local flea markets or something like that. Maybe the pipe was a secondhand prop?

Reactions: RookieGuy
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Yeah, maybe so. I’m shocked anyone on set knew to do that. I haven’t seen the movie yet, does the pipe have any importance in the film?
I do remember reading now that most of Clint Eastwood’s props/clothes came from local flea markets or something like that. Maybe the pipe was a secondhand prop?
Edit to add, when I spoke of Clint Eastwood’s props I was talking about from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
DiCaprio, I would bet, had 99.44 % say in what pipe to use, or whether to use one at all. The director may have insisted on the slightly faded appearance, making up the other .56 %. A bright, shiny stem would have looked contrived or even fake, and have drawn the viewer's attention unnecessarily. It wasn't a movie about a pipe. I'm not a DiCaprio fan (thought him playing Howard Hughes in The Aviator was ludicrous), but his judgment in choosing a pipe over the more obvious and clichéd cigar shows he does have some mastery of details in his craft. Did he smoke it exclusively, or was it just a momentary gimmick? His Catch Me If You Can was very good.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
oh of course they do. The people in the prop department of any major studio have so many crazy weird tricks up their sleeves that this one seems like an entry level trick.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
There have been few finer depictions of slavery's depravity than Leonardo DiCaprio's Calvin Candie and his head house slave Samuel Jackson as Stephen featuring Candie setting his dogs on a slave to tear him apart.

Yes, Tarantino's films are violent. Earlier in his career when told this it appeared to give him pause, but now that he's racked up a string of money-makers, I doubt that anyone who matters says anything at all.

Last edited:
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
There have been few finer depictions of slavery's depravity than Leonardo DiCaprio's Calvin Candie and his head house slave Samuel Jackson as Stephen featuring Candie setting his dogs on a slave to tear him apart.

Yes, Tarantino's films are violent. Earlier in his career when told this it appeared to give him pause, but now that he's racked up a string of money-makers, I doubt that anyone who matters says anything at all.
I guess I don’t matter! ?
Not a big fan of most of his films, though it has nothing to do with the violence. Most of them just seem to have silly plots, though I’ve not seen this one. I wish I could have back the time I wasted watching Inglorious Basterds. Reservoir Dogs was decent.

Reactions: lightmybriar