New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I worked half my life in a kitchen. It got me through college and grad school while allowing me to pay off my student loans in under 10 years as a "moon light" cook on the weekends. While I escaped the kitchen, others weren't so lucky and cooking is a young man's game.

Mother's Day is a holiday that I would recommend staying in, although I know moms love eating out on their special day (especially Olive Garden for some reason).

My long time girlfriend and mother of my child is working all day on Mother's Day. So, I'm making garlicky shrimp served over parmesan polenta with a tomato ragout. Hot crab dip with garlic bread, a side of roasted brussel sprouts and a black forest dump cake will round out the meal.

Tomorrow will be cheesy ranch chicken with a panko crust, garlicky green beans, and mashed potatoes. A carmel apple dump cake will be served for dessert.

Any one else cooking for Mother's Day? If so, what is on the menu? And what is with moms liking Olive Garden? Inquiring minds want to know.

Gonna be Steak Oscar at my house paired with a Napa Cab :) - I have the filets, fresh crab legs, asparagus, etc ready to go!!!
Steak Oscar with asparagus and Hollandaise sauce with some fresh pepper in a white plate

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Gonna be Steak Oscar at my house paired with a Napa Cab :) - I have the filets, fresh crab legs, asparagus, etc ready to go!!!
Steak Oscar with asparagus and Hollandaise sauce with some fresh pepper in a white plate
Love steak oscar. Hollandaise is fabulous. Nice job.

Other favorite steak toppings are smothered in mushrooms and onions; thick sliced herb marinades tomatoes and sweet onions; garlic and herb infused olive oil; and herbed compound butter.

Reactions: OSOBUCO
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I did steaks tonight. Chicken piccata tomorrow. My wife’s favorite. Serving it with lemon herb rice and roasted veggies.

My wife and I also have put in time working in the service industry back in the day. Nothing but love and respect for those rocking it now!
Picatta is one of my favorites too. Marshals is right beside it.

I firmly believe everyone should work in a restaurant for at least 1 year. You see humanity at its worst and learn to work as a team with modern day pirates that cannot function in a 9 to 5 society. Thomas Keller, Marco Pierre White, and Anthony Bourdain would agree (with 2 of them leaving the game early, 2 of which have back his Michilin stars).

cooking is one of the two things that involve all 5 senses. The other doesn't involve pants (unless you are in the dry storage area of a restaurant and I strongly recommend cooking in pants).

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
We started the day with coffee and stroopwaffles. For brunch the kids picked avo, herbs and nasturtium flowers from the garden to go with bagels, cream cheese and smoked salmon. A caper or two and some balsamic reduction made there way onto the plates too. We are now off to see my grandma and mum, so I guess we will be eating whatever they have out ?

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
We started the day with coffee and stroopwaffles. For brunch the kids picked avo, herbs and nasturtium flowers from the garden to go with bagels, cream cheese and smoked salmon. A caper or two and some balsamic reduction made there way onto the plates too. We are now off to see my grandma and mum, so I guess we will be eating whatever they have out ?
I learned about stroopwafels about 2 years ago around Christmas. Wonderful cookie-like wafer.

Smoked salmon or lox with bagels and cream cheese, topped with onion and capers, is my favorite breakfast. I intend in trying to make my own lox soon.

Nicely done.

Reactions: Ahi Ka