PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have seen a Sixten Ivarson for sale on ebay for over 29000 USD a couple of years or three ago.

Also one Bo North in mor than 25000 USD
That would be quite a pinnacle for a Sixten pipe. Sixten is about the only carver for whom I'd go 4 figures, and a low four figures at best, because he is, to my thinking, the single most influential carver of the 20th century, and thus plays to my interest in the history of pipes. That said, I need to keep to a budget, so I'll admire from afar. It's pretty much a given that most of this stuff will be worthless in a few decades.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This reminds me of two quotes about wealth. F. Scott Fitzgerald boosted the mythic stature of the wealthy, especially in the U.S., by writing, "The rich aren't like you and me." And Ernest Hemingway parodied that by retorting: "The rich aren't like you and me. They have more money."

I'm always quietly amused when I get a terrific smoke out of a $40 American factory pipe, though I treasure my few up-market pipes.

Reactions: Casual

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I quit so whatever I might say is so prejudiced that it becomes useless, which is good for you since you don't have to listen to me.