PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

H

Hfinn

EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Hi there! Does anyone have information on the most expensive pipes that have been sold? Not the expensive ones that you can see in the store, but those that were exactly sold, at an auction or elsewhere. It's just interesting to know what the maximum amount of money a person is willing to shell out for such a thing as a briar pipe.

Last edited by a moderator:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's probably a very high end hand-carved pipe that belonged to some historical figure or major celebrity. The record may belong to a pipe sold at auction, so the price paid was public, but the actual record may be a deal done out of the public view that we will never know. Marilyn Monroe's full bent Dublin.

Rock3r4life

Lurker
Apr 10, 2021
Illinois
I'm not sure if it was ever "sold" per se but the most expensive pipe I know of is Dunhill's Eiffel Tower pipe valued at $3.5M.

As far as what someone is willing to shell out, $10K-$20K for a pipe is probably on the low end or starting end for high value pipes.
Aye carumba. Paying that much for a small bowl and tube is just not feasible to me; akin to an expensive "stick bow" (archery recurve, it could literally be taking down to the fact it is ac6a stick and a string)

Reactions: ofafeather

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One aspect of stratospheric priced auction items -- paintings, automobiles, pipes, whatever -- is that the prices are not settled over time, and they don't always go up, a bit like blue chip stocks. The market can move away from any particular item and leave it at half its previous value, or of course gain in value (what someone will pay). The causes are intangible -- sociological, cultural, economic, inexplicable. The show Antiques Road Show has started comparing valuations from past shows to current valuations for individual items, and they go both ways, and can be much more or much less.

H

Hfinn

I saw a Jess Chonowitsch pipe in the store, it has a very high price. I read on pipedia that he dries briar for 18-24 months and gets some special results. There are very few of these pipes on the market and the prices are just insane, in the photo there is example for $6,800.

Jess26875.jpg

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I saw a Jess Chonowitsch pipe in the store, it has a very high price. I read on pipedia that he dries briar for 18-24 months and gets some special results. There are very few of these pipes on the market and the prices are just insane, in the photo there is example for $6,800.

View attachment 75663
You too can grossly overpay for basically a straight grain Peterson 106

there’s a word for those who spend dumb amounts on something that isn’t worth it to anyone but themself.

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois

View attachment 75663
What am I missing it looks like an average pipe

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Don’t get me wrong, I like fine pipes, but would like to see blind smoke tests from some of the pipe “experts” comparing reasonably priced pipes like Rossi, Gigi, Chacom, Brigham, etc., with Castello, Dunhill, Chonowitsch, Manduela, etc. While you often “get what you pay for”, like appliances, tool, cars, etc., I suspect that this “generally” don’t apply to reputable pipe makers. Appearance is obviously something separate, hence, the blind... and garners its own worth.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
At my grocery a person pulled out from the parking spot driving a 1980’s Mercedes diesel. Those were expensive back then, but it has lasted and stood the test of time. I’m sure he’s done what it took the make it last.

Reactions: JOHN72