PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
What's the most aromatic tobacco by Sam Gawith or Gawith Hoggarth in terms of room note? I've pretty much got them all on hand, but I'm wondering which has the most fragrance when lingering in the air and likely to please the ladies? I smoke alone so I am unsure. Perhaps Top Black Cherry, although I don't pick up anything in the room note. It seems like most flakes with Virginias don't translate, like Ennerdale and such. What's your experience?

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
What's your experience?
My wife is quite tolerant of any pipe smoke EXCEPT those with the Lakeland essence. So it depends on the Olfactory Epithelium of the lady in question :puffy:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've gotten a lot of compliments about Kendal Gold Banana and Rich Dark Honeydew.

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
Hmm most of the Kendal shag blends smell like a farm, the flavored ones like a fruit farm. Rich Dark Honeydew, that's interesting, it's not a blend that has a particularly strong tin note, but perhaps the honey scent blends with the tobacco well in the smoke. I once smelled someone smoking Rum Flake and it had a strong chocolatey/vanilla kind of smell but I think maybe it was whatever he was smoking before that like 1Q or some shit

kimbiker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2014
Samuel Gawith - Palace Gate, not an often talked about arro but very good.
G & H - all the American style loose (in England) arros, Coofee, Coconut etc etc.
Lakelands slightly different (not your 'normal' sweet arro smell) but most have a good aroma - rum flake, mellow mahogany are just 2.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
What's the most aromatic tobacco by Sam Gawith or Gawith Hoggarth in terms of room note?
I'm going with Conniston Cut Plug (Unscented) which leaves the room smelling incense with almost no tobacco. The smell persists for about a week. It is the most successful aromatic, in terms of room note, that I have ever encountered, and a great tobacco and favorite as well, when I can get past the dreaded Lakeland Essence.

I'm another vote for Errendale. I left an open tin in my truck and it ghosted the whol truck. I had to spray the upholstery down with Malathion, as it was the only thing that would get rid of the smell. Now, my truck smells like poisonous bug-killing chemicals, but at least it makes me gag slightly less than the Errendale did.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not a GH aromatic smoker, but I gotta ask, do the aromatics live up to their pipe-ghosting reputation. Like, if you smoke a few bowls in a favored briar, is it scented for the century? Longer? If you designate a cob, will it ghost pipes next to it on the rack? Will the neighbors across the street begin to smell a little like grandma's bathmat?

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Like, if you smoke a few bowls in a favored briar, is it scented for the century?
For the Lakelands I've smoked, the ghosting is the most intense of anything I have tried. However, it seems to mostly go away after a few strong blends of other sorts and a little time. I wouldn't smoke one in your pipe dedicated to Virginia flakes however.

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
For Ennerdale, it has the strongest tin note but does the smell actually translate to the smoke? I smoked some near my grandmother once and she just said it smelled sweet. Ha! I have Coniston scented plug so I'll give that a try. Is the rose is Grasmere smelled in the smoke?

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Is the rose is Grasmere smelled in the smoke?
With the Coniston, yes, it has a rosewater and incense type smell, a very complex scent. If you remember the 1980s "Old Spice" cologne, it's a lot like that.

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
I have the scented Bosun plug but the room note doesn't seem too aromatic. No Gawith blends seem to have a room note that might impress ladies. Even the American style blends like Cherry & Vanilla or American Delight. The room note seems dull to my senses compared. I only smoke Lakelands have them all. I'm trying to pick something that smells nice

Status
Not open for further replies.