PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PuffingWalrus

Lurker
Jul 31, 2022
Brattleboro VT
I have been tossing the thought around of getting a Morta pipe to add to my rotation but am still not sure yet. Those of you fine folk that have picked up one of these "bog oak" pipes in the last few years what are your thoughts. i do most of my shoping online and cannot hold a pipe in hand prior to purchasing so any insight will be most helpful.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Get one from Marco of Moretti, they are going to be the best deal you find.

No one is going to be arguing about Marco’s morta pipes for the price. ;)

Morta pipes smoke really nice.

Here’s his website;

And eBay store; (He has better deals on eBay)

P.S. You can commission a pipe too from Marco! :)

Jun 23, 2019
Get one from Marco of Moretti, they are going to be the best deal you find.

No one is going to be arguing about Marco’s morta pipes for the price. ;)

Morta pipes smoke really nice.

Here’s his website;

And eBay store; (He has better deals on eBay)

P.S. You can commission a pipe too from Marco! :)

Moretti is a great place to start.

I was going to suggest Chris Askwith or Davorin but those are a bit more pricey.

As a tangential note: I really like the way English/Latakia heavy blends taste in mortas, they taste very distinct (in the way a cob tastes very noticeably a cob).

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I have 2 or 3. They have an interesting look. I wouldn't say there's anything about them that sets them apart from, or ahead of briar. It's hardwood, mineralized oak specifically. And it will burn. Mineralized does not equal fossilized. one is several thousand years old while the other is millions of years old.

Ignore any advice to treat morta like a meerschaum pipe. Let some cake build on the inside; hardwood pipes benefit from that.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Morta definitely has a wider spectrum of quality than briar.

The good stuff will be problem free if cared for decently, the bad stuff will crack, chip, and burn if looked at sideways.

Do your homework regarding the maker and don't chase price bargains, and you should be fine, though.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I have a few mortas from different makers
You can check them on the “Show Us Your Mortas” thread

I second the recommendations of Marco of Moretti Pipes for your first morta. Good pipes at very fair prices.

Marco is very easy to work with. Answers queries promptly. And dispatches very quickly and securely.
If a pipe you like is no longer available, contact Marco and he’ll make you one

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have yet to buy one after looking at them for more than a decade. I smoke Virginia/Virginia/Perique and Virginia/Kentucky /Burley and all my friends who own them say the same the thing. They are really good with English blends but not great with the blends I like so I won't buy one.

Reactions: ak2000

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Marco is great, combined with the quality of his work and pricing, it will be difficult to beat all of this.

And later, if you want to go more exotic or now even, Davorin as mentioned already, specializes in Morta, one I’d call probably the master of it, or at least at the very top.

P.S. I see Davorin updated his site with some new pics, looking like he’s smoking a Briar pipe in one while making his Morta pipes, that’s a bit of a contradiction LOL 😆

Last edited:
Reactions: OzPiper

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Artem Shcherbak also looks like a very talented Morta pipe carver.

I always see him posting pipes on his Instagram. I’ve been eyeing his pipes and considering to get one.

Former follows him, so it can’t be to bad. LOL 😆

0FAEFC22-F524-4744-BB96-683214B2FB0D.jpeg

Reactions: vates

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
The Rattray's morta pipes aren't around anymore. They pulled them because they had so many sent back and couldn't guarantee their quality. Sounds like others might be better though. I have one of the Rattray's but have yet to put a match to it. I'm looking for smooth #5 as well because I like the look so much.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If I were going to buy one it would be a Davorin. I love his shaping and the design work on the outside of the pipe. I just looked at one of our sponsors pipes2smoke as they have carrying Morta for years. Not many to choose from as I guess demand is going up. The ones liked the best were all way to heaver and I am wondering if that is done intentionally so the pipe smokes cool. Anyone know the answer, With the experts on this site I expect my answer by the close of business today, no excuses.

Reactions: ak2000

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
If I were going to buy one it would be a Davorin. I love his shaping and the design work on the outside of the pipe. I just looked at one of our sponsors pipes2smoke as they have carrying Morta for years. Not many to choose from as I guess demand is going up. The ones liked the best were all way to heaver and I am wondering if that is done intentionally so the pipe smokes cool. Anyone know the answer, With the experts on this site I expect my answer by the close of business today, no excuses.
Harris,
I bought the first of my Davorins from Altinok Pipes.
He also sells direct if you contact him.
He's a very nice guy.
Given you only like vulcanite stems, it might be best to email him as he uses acrylic stems.