PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2013
Can somebody explain me what is the purpose of morta pipe? When it is better than briar/meerschaum pipe?

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
It's not better than either it's another medium for pipe makers to work with. It smokes closer to meerschaum than briar and can be smoked successively w/o issue. It can get hot but moderating your puffing fixes that and it does cool quickly, like meerschaum cake is not required and it is neutral to your tobacco taste. I enjoy mine with Davidoff Flake Medallions
8456805636_7e4dd89534_z.jpg

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Got 2 Becker Mortas, interesting material, expensive, buy a good Meer instead IMHO. Not putting them down they are pleasing to the eye, could have bought 3 high end pipes for what they cost. Smoke is dry, gets hot fast but cools down quick, I only smoke English blends in them, not sorry I bought them but its like a Rolex watch once you get it it only tells time. The old cajun

Reactions: brunot

alexl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2013
I have 3 Peterson Meers. Meer works like a filter, but what about Morta? Can it absorb moisture?

One more question: the cake is the enemy and must be cleaned?

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Morta pipes look so amazing! Someday will definately own one.
Just to try each of the pipe mediums and make my own judgement of the smoking qualities of all types of pipes.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I never knew such a thing existed. I have a lot to learn, which I am happy about because I love learning new things about pipes. I think they're pretty cool looking. I personally dont see anything wrong with wanting one in the collection just to have one. This has become one of my primary hobbies so collecting new and interesting pipes is part of the joy for me. For example, I don't particularly like how Fender Stratocasters play but most serious guitarists have a few in the stable. I don't currently have one but am on the look out for a 68' Sea-foam Green Strat.
P.S. It's not about the money, its about the joy. Right now I am smoking a $70 Viking which is gorgeous and a wonderful experience.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Davorin has some interesting vids on his webiste.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ityB25ZEwEc&feature=youtu.be

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Ive been reading about these since this thread was posted. I am pretty fascinated with the process morta goes though and even how to "harvest it". Does anyone know how long it takes briar to be ready for usage as a pipe?

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
Davorin will be selling in the US through a US based distributor in 2014...I ordered a Morta from him and so excited about the news of having access to his pipes in America

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I have made two pipes from morta and have a third started. The first was from 3700 year old wood the other two from 1700 year old. Wood.The wood was from Russia and comes with a certificate that says it was carbon dated. I can only assume that the certificate is real.

Anyway I had heard that morta was really hard to work. That has not been the case with the wood I have used. It is different than working briar but doesn't seem to be as hard or as dense as briar. It can be tricky to sand or work in some areas because of the grain.

I have yet to smoke a morta as the first two were for someone else,maybe the third one...

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I only have one morta but I'll throw my two cents in. It's not better or worse than briar or meerschaum. However, it is different. There is something akin to the neutral taste of meerschaum but there also a slight creosote/smokiness as well. It was extremely pronounced the first couple of bowls but it's softened after that. I imagine if let a cake build (which you shouldn't), then it would probably go away. The wood gets a little hotter than briar but it dissipates pretty fast which probably help it smoke cool.
I think the flavors are interesting with a va/per or an a light english. It disappears into a heavier latakia blend though.
A fair warning that as the material as gotten popular, I've started to see oak pipes that weren't morta being offered by Mario Grandi and probably others. Honestly, I don't know how different they'd be but I'm not spending my money to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.