PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deuce26

Can't Leave
Jan 29, 2014
Slidell, Louisiana
Good Morning all,
I've developed a new routine of having an early morning smoke before I start my day. Right now enjoying a bowl of PS LBF. I'd love to hear your recommendations for morning smokes if that's your routine as well!!!!

My daughters complained that their teachers and friends accused them of staying out at all night card games back when I used to start my day with a VaPer while I got them ready, so I switched to an aromatic for my first smoke. Erinmore, Vanilla Cream Flake, McC's Deep Hollow, or a mix of Firedance and Newminster's Blackberry Brandy. They par well with coffee, the kids don't stink at school, and an aromatic (some of them) can be a good light smoke to start the day while I cook breakfast and get the ball rolling. But, as soon as they are out of the truck at school, I am firing up a real smoke with a straight Virginia or VaPer.

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
I don't have a standard morning smoke...often it's a bowl of Carter Hall, 1-Q or another easily maintained 'driving tobacco' while in the truck on the way to work.
If I'm home for the morning though I've found few things beat C&D Burley Flake #2 and a strong cup of coffee.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Anything mild in strength and taste will do. Don't need any challenges when I sit down with my coffee and newspaper.

I like SG/Medium Virginia Flake and Capstan Yellow, but something as uncomplicated as Prince Albert works too.

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
I usually start out with a straight Virginia in the morning and then switch to Vapers, Vaburs, or Va/Orientals.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Most morning I light a bowl of C&D's Pegasus and get my mug of coffee and check out the pipe forums I'm a member of. The last two mornings I've been smoking a bowl of C&D's Billy Budd as my first smoke because I needed a jump start.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Being the nicwimp that I am, I start the day with a light VA or Lat. This cleanses the palate and clears the way for heftier stuff. The VA might be something like F&T Vintage or DHF; the Lat might be DH Mellow, Stratfordshire, Skiff, Campanile, Wingfield or 7 Reserve. I choose the first smoke with a view to the sequence I want to build for the day. Often I decide what the last smoke of the day will be and work backwards.
When we go out to dinner, I usually choose the wine first, then decide what food gets ordered.
hp

les

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I love some Burley in the morning with black coffee ... usually Ethiopian or Kenyan.
Some favorites:
C&D Big N' Burley

C&D Old Joe Krantz

Peterson Irish Flake

Rattray Stirling Flake

GLP JackKnife Plug

SG Cob Plug

HH Old Dark Fired

Solani Aged Burley Flake

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
My one and only for morning duty - C&D Autumn Evening. Go figure...

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
I'm in the mild straight Va boat, as well. Normally, that would be Dunhill Flake, but I'm working on building a cellar of smokeable bulk tobaccos, so I've had to sacrifice a bit. Right now, my current morning smoke is Mac Baren's Virginia No. 1. It works, but it's certainly no DF. Or Rotary Navy Cut, or Capstan Blue, or F&T's Cut Virginia Plug- which are a few of my other favorite morning smokes. To be quite honest, Va #1 effing blows compared to the tinned tobaccos I mentioned. Oh well, I'll build my cellar of tins eventually.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
My morning smoke, usually n a corncob, has for several years been C&D Bayou Morning. Somehow it just sets the taste buds up for the rest of the day and always with a mug of black 100% Colombian coffee freshly ground.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
When we go out to dinner, I usually choose the wine first, then decide what food gets ordered.
So I am not the ONLY one who does this. Thanks for the affirmation Les

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Sometimes I grab up in-completed bowls from the evening before, but usually it's a burley of the codger variety in a cob. I switch it up but that's usually what I smoke first.

rsavage

Lurker
Jun 7, 2015
I know I'm going to get a couple raised eyebrows on this one but C&D Captain Bob's blend I love for a morning smoke

rsavage

Lurker
Jun 7, 2015
I know a great Sunday morning is a Mclelland mixture Black cavendish with oriental, Turkish and Virginias. It goes great with a cappuccino or coffee stout beers great on a Sunday morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.