PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
So I'm looking at my pipe collection, this morning, all in bits and pieces (cleaning everything) on my work-bench bureau, and I'm sipping spun-cut Kentucky/VA with the wisps of thin, spiderweb smoke all wafting 'round my brain. I'm thinking about my antique store pipes, which ones should I refurbish first, I'm thinking about the lovely taste of cheap bulk tobacco, I'm thinking about buying a new pipe, and I'm thinking about buying lots and lots of new tobacco. I ask myself, where does it all end? I'll have to get rid of some of my old pipes, or buy more racks, I'll have to dig a big hole in my yard and get some concrete to make a new cellar, I'll have to get a second job, I guess.
Why is it so hard to be satisfied? Some times I feel as though I get so close to satisfaction that I scoff at the side of me that just wants more. I quit looking ahead at the pipe in the store window and look down at the pipe in my hand, the tins on display and the baccy in my bowl, and I breathe a deep breath, and relax. I say to myself that I'm rambling again, and it's a lovely morning. I'm just gonna finish this post and puff away in the sunshine.
But I am wondering, or musing, rather as the title suggests, how you guys out there are doing with these problems, these incessant needs for more tobacco, more pipes. I'm a blue collar worker, I make 16 bucks an hour. Why would I possibly spend any more than a couple bucks on this stuff a week? What's wrong with us? I see how quickly the symptoms appear in new pipers, and remember how I, myself, was so glad to trade in my cigarettes for the pipe, thinking how much money I would save!
But then again, on a day like this; when the sun is shining on the back porch and the coffee's fresh, when I pack my cob with something truly delicious, I don't care about the money, and everything is beautiful. I just can't wait for that tin of Blakeney's Bayou Slices to arrive in the mail...

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I hate to be the one to tell you but...you have contracted PAD and TAD. It's possible to live a happy life with these disorders but you will spend a lot of money probably. We're here to help you.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
You guys might have a real problem with PAD but me on the other hand, I've got this handled. Oh, I'll be posting some pics later.

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
I'm not gonna deny it, I do suffer from a mild case of PAD, but my primary tobacco affliction is a slightly different strain of the virus known as TCD; or Tobacco Consumption Disorder.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Warren, what is this "self-control" thing you mentioned? Should I ask my doc for a shot or pill for it? Doesn't sound healthy, whatever it is.

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
I feel your pain!!! I just bought a new piece of furniture, because my tobacco celler ran out of space.. I look back through it and , Im damn I meant to try that!.... and I keep buying.. Well at least I have a gorgeous buffet to choose from.
if tobbacopipes.com could stop with the sales I would appreciate it! LOL Miss rez.

hotjazzbaby

Lurker
Nov 30, 2018
<p>Pipe collecting to me is like antiques, can't stop won't stop!<br />
My wife is a minimalist, which is at odds with my (if I can be honest hear) hording. I was sitting at my desk the other day and she looked at me, then my pipe, then my pipes on the rack, then around the room at my "treasures", she then just shook her head at me. And all I could do was just gave her a slow devilish grin!

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
I'm with you, man. My room looks so much like an antique store in itself, people have told me I should charge admission!

cajomu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 15, 2018
@georgebmcclelland
Just be thankful that your fixation is pipes and tobacco instead of sports betting and the horse track.

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
This year I spent more than I would like on tobacco so now I dont care how big the sale, I will not purchase any more stuff until at least half of it is consumed.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
For me I used to be happy with just my hardwood MM and my Meer. Then I started understanding terms like 'graining' and 'birdseye'. I used to think all pipe tobacco was the same. Then I started understanding terms like 'virginia' and 'latakia'. Russ' videos were a big help.
So as your interest and appreciation for the hobby grows, so will your collection or pipes and tobacco.
Just keep your purchases in line with your finances and you will be alright.

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
Yeah, I've got plenty of time to try so many tobaccos, smoke so many pipes, that I don't need to rush.
That's the viewpoint I try to convince myself to take (but when you need to convince yourself of what you already know; you're wandering towards insanity).
And, yeah, I somehow ended up with a strange immunity to betting. Of course, I will stake some of my wages every now and again in a friendly game of cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.