More $ on Tobacco, or Pipes & Accessories This Year?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
As a percentage of the money you spent this year (2018), have you spent more on tobacco, or on pipes & accessories? How does that compare to last year?
I’ve spent more on tobacco this year.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
My pipes remain after a smoke, the tobacco turns to ash. A $100 pipe can last a lifetime, $100 worth of Tobacco lasts me about a month. In my case the tobacco is where the money goes.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Given that so many blends are going to disappear in 2021 I tell people to buy their favorite endangered blends. This year I spent more on tobaccos. At the beginning of the year I stocked up on McClelland blends that I like because they were closing up shop. My pipe expenditures, until I recently bought the two Ken Barnes pipes, were minimal in the extreme.

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
I've not bought any pipes this year, indeed I don't intend on buying anymore pipes as I have enough and honestly I have no ambition to collect pipes.
I've only bought a handful of tins this year but I have smoked a few tins from my cellar.
So more $ on tobacco

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Tobacco. I am focusing on going deep in blends and not bases such as straight Virginia. Those will be here forever even if we have to grow our own. It is the mixtures put together by the master blenders that will be missed.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Less $ here.

Much less.
I’ve met my goals for cellaring, and any additional acquisitions would probably never get smoked. There will be some whole leaf purchases, though, as I explore plug making.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
After not having bought any tobacco since 2016 I did pretty good in 2018. I found three new blends I added to the cellar and loaded up accordingly. It was also a pretty good year for pipes. My last two were bought in March and although I have been looking, no purchases since then.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'm getting close to my lifetime cellar objectives so I'll probably spend more on pipes next year than I did this year. But I expect I'll still spend more on tobacco.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I bought nearly 7 pounds in the last two weeks. Way more than I ever spent. Plus bought a pipe and am working on a commission as well.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Given that so many blends are going to disappear in 2021 I tell people to buy their favorite endangered blends. This year I spent more on tobaccos. At the beginning of the year I stocked up on McClelland blends that I like because they were closing up shop. My pipe expenditures, until I recently bought the two Ken Barnes pipes, were minimal in the extreme.
+1
Even though I had just spent several thousand dollars on my woodstove installation, chain saw, and other wood burning related equipment, and my "fun" money budget was completely shot, I splurged a couple months ago on 5 lbs. of Dunhill Nightcap because I figured it would be gone soon, and I wanted to stock some in my cellar. The credit card bill was paid off the next month in full, and I'm very glad to have that Nightcap jarred up waiting for me. I will keep buying as much of my favorite post-2007 blends as I care to spend money on, plus just expanding my cellar generally including pre-2007 blends.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Mark, you have enough tobacco time to start loading up on some real pipes. This beauty has your name all over it.

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/chonowitsch/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=277834

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
I don't have any set rules for PAD/TAD..... but in general, I only acquire 1 or maybe 2 pipes a year... ones that really speak to me and get a good deal on. I also tend to purchase as much tobacco as I smoke, so If i smoke one or two twins in a month that is what I buy.

Dec 24, 2012
Pipes for me for sure. I am pretty well stocked on the cellar side, so other than a bunch of McCl blends, I haven't bought much tobacco in 2018.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I’m usually a pipe guy but I spent more stocking up on McClelland than I did on pipes. Pipe travel adds up too every year. 15 nights of smoke filled fun at an average of $125 a night plus food, drink and gas. 8O

Status
Not open for further replies.