PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

graydawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2014
What a week it's been. A lot of Barlings showing up on the web and elsewhere. I came across two that were particularly nice: Pre-transition Barling's Make YOW Special in about a M-L size (a smaller pipe) that was virtually unsmoked. This pipe has the Pre-transition stampings along with the transition four digit shape number, dating it to 1962. Also a Pre-transition Barling's Make YOW, TVF, EXEL, Fossil, again in excellent condition. One seller then gifted me a little bonus, a Bewlay pot. Made in England for the Bewlay stores, these pipes were made by Barling, Charatan, and Loewe. This Bewlay looks very much like a Barling in bowl shape, finish, and stem work.

Richard

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Greydawn
Barlings is a great make, no doubt about it.
I also have a 1912 Bewlay and although it has an orithic stem which is not comfortable, it is still an excellent burner.
Congrats on your acquisitions.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
All three, great looking pipes! Just out of curiosity, what is the mark beneath Bewlay? Does it have a shape number?

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Dave, the Bewlay is stamped: Emerald, Made in England, 5264.
Richard
Barling. From the 1962 catalog,
62bar21-562x600.jpg

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Congrats on the great finds! A bonus Bewlay in that condition is a bonus indeed.

graydawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2014
Thanks Dave. Yep, Barling appears to have made the Bewlay. Appreciate the catalog pictures.
Richard

neverbend

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2014
Hi Greydawn,
Congratulations on these lovely pipes. The Special Bulldog is indeed just that, beautiful.
In doing research on the Barling connection to other brands I don't believe that there were many Barling made Bewlays. Barling bowls were handmade while other Bewlays, with the exception of a few Charatans, were machine made. Barling and Charatan handmade pipes sold under the Bewlay name were rejected, they failed some criterion so that they couldn’t be branded. In either case the briar used to make them was of superior quality and the Cutting and drilling phases of production were done by master craftsmen.
Once the Bewlay is identified as a handmade bowl make a determination on whether it’s a Barling or Charatan based on their manufacturing characteristics. I’ll try to illustrate this point.
Top view:

The walls of your pipe are proportionately thicker than those on most machine made. Machine made pipes have exceptionally flat rims and sharper edges than your pipe has. To my eye, this is clearly the rim of a handmade bowl.
Side view:

The heel is (fairly) heavily rounded. This can't (shouldn't) be done with machine made bowls because they lack sufficient briar to do so (tolerance). The shank is short in relation to the size of the bowl characteristic of a cut-down handmade bowl and not machine made where the pipe would have been sandblasted or rusticated without further shaping or reduction.
Note the longer shank on the Fossil bulldog compared to the Special. They are intended to be the same shape but once determined that the bowl would be sandblasted the shank was left intact (it may not have been a candidate for shortening in any case). The Fossil shank is the intended length, the Special shank length is still sufficient (and beautiful) but was reduced.
Without the pipe in hand positive identification is impossible but based on shape it could have been made by either company however it lacks the grain signature characteristic of Charatan.
Since the pipe is not bigger than your bulldogs and it shows no attempt to have been cut based on grain (mixed) I'd tend to believe that this was a cut-down made by Barling.
Great gift! Enjoy them.

Reactions: orlandofurioso

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Great trio, graydawn. My first pipe was a bulldog my cousin purchased for me over the counter at the local drug store. I'll always have a soft spot for them. Pots are always a find.

Status
Not open for further replies.