PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuroneko

Lurker
Dec 19, 2016
I have found a pouch of this stuff in a remote shop in Japan. I had never heard of it before and never seen it discussed before. I wanted to try it so I smoked it right away. The air was windy so I couldn't get much of a good smoke but I tried it again later that day in my room and the taste is really good. Every mouthful brings out a different taste so it never gets boring. The only problem is that it burns a little too quick for my taste, I'll try it in a cob when I get one but currently I own none. Did anyone try this blend? Can you find it anywhere other than Japan?

Cool, good review. This blend seems to have come up a few times in conversation on the forum. I did a Google search for "pipesmagazine Momoyama" and got a few hits.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/japanese-bampm-interview

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/ft-or-fs-1998-momoyama

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/youll-hate-me-for-this-tobacco-review
It seems this was sold in the Us for a short time, but I've never seen it or heard of it. I'll be anxious to hear if others have come across it.

So, what are some of the flavors you can pick up from this one?

kuroneko

Lurker
Dec 19, 2016
I'm not experienced enough to pick up all the notes but I'm definitely picking up some citrus and something that resembles either peaches or apricots. The smell is also very peachy. I'm fairly certain it has some orientals also because I can pick up some spicy tones.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
From Tobaccoreviews.com....
Momoyama Mixture
Brand Japan Tobacco

Blended By Japan Tobacco Inc.

Manufactured By Japan Tobacco Inc.

Blend Type Virginia/Burley

Contents Burley, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia

Flavoring Alcohol / Liquor, Caramel, Fruit / Citrus, Other / Misc

Cut Ready Rubbed

Packaging 50g pouch, 100g tin

Country JP

Production No longer in production
Perhaps you are referring to Momoyama 3? Of the three blends it is the only one still produced.
Brand Japan Tobacco

Blended By Japan Tobacco Inc.

Manufactured By Mac Baren

Blend Type Virginia/Burley

Contents Burley, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia

Flavoring Alcohol / Liquor, Caramel, Fruit / Citrus, Other / Misc

Cut Ready Rubbed

Packaging 100 Tin, 50 Pouch

Country JP

Production Currently available
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The curmudgeon in me isn't going to chase this around the globe, but if it became available, I might try it. Blending real tobacco forward aromatics is a sophisticated art.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
I have one sealed tin I'd part with if anyone is interested. PM me and we can work out terms.

kuroneko

Lurker
Dec 19, 2016
I'm pretty sure it's the Momoyama 3 mawnansmiff, the packaging was quite new. I've also discovered that it has a bite if smoked too much.
On another note, I think I introduced a Japanese guy to the world of pipe smoking today. He was pretty interested and liked the tobacco a lot. Good deed of the day(or bad if you look at it from another perspective).

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
One of my sons visited Japan a few years ago and brought me back a pouch of Momoyama. I don't recall which variety it was, but I'm pretty sure that it wasn't made my Mac Baren. I found it to be quite an enjoyable aromatic that I would buy here if it was available, but like mso I don't think it was worth chasing around the globe for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.