PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
So in the spirit of another mold thread, I went to look at an estate pipe that I have been trying to restore. I have used alcohol treatments (yes, even in the bowl) but did a few coffee grinds in the bowl to clear the ghost smell. Well I haven't looked at it for about a week, then was greeted with this...
20180822_185415.jpg

Anybody ever see this before? Should I do another alcohol treatment to clean it out, or something else going on here?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
One time, I bought an estate pipe that kept sprouting mold. I had it tested. Turns out, the old geezer who owned it died in his Barcalounger, and all his decomposed brain juice ran down the stem and collected in the heel of the bowl, causing the chronic mold infestation. True story. Now, I'm not saying that's what happened here, I'm just sayin'.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Now, I've heard of ghosted but that's getting a little extreme.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
Yikes, that's pretty gross. I'll run some alcohol through it again and let it sit to see what happens.
Another question because the inside chamber walls are pretty clear in this picture, whats the best way to make that chamber smooth? I have reamed, soaked, scrubbed...is this where pipe mud comes into play?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
A gentle sanding may help. George D., known far and wide for his pipe magic, may weigh in with a professional opinion.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It's the beauty of estates I guess, one really doesn't know where it's been or what's been inserted or dribbled into the bowl. Certainly some things should remain unknown. Not every back story is a happy one.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I’d give it about 3-4 days in the sunshine, another Everclear/salt treatment, and see what happens after a week of rest. One more reoccurrence and I’d toss it for sure. That pipe would have to have a hell of a pedigree to keep.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
One time, I bought an estate pipe that kept sprouting mold. I had it tested. Turns out, the old geezer who owned it died in his Barcalounger, and all his decomposed brain juice ran down the stem and collected in the heel of the bowl, causing the chronic mold infestation. True story. Now, I'm not saying that's what happened here, I'm just sayin'.
8O

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
But: How was the pipe stored after cleaning out the coffee grounds?
All of my pipes are stored laying down on a shelf in my dining room. I live in TX, but AC runs between 76-78 all day.
I'll clean it tonight and give it some sun time, God knows it'll be hot enough the next couple days.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
After treating, always store your pipes bowl down. This allows any moisture to drain into the bowl and evaporate. Laying them down, inside a drawer, is almost certainly causing moisture to stay trapped inside the pipe, thus, mold.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
First off aldecaker now I've really bought my last estate, Jesus Christmas, as my wife says.

So, alchohol doesn't kill mold, in some cases it feeds it. Bleach I would definitely not use on a stummel, stem yes stummel no way. I concur with the sunlight exposure, uv light kills mold, so a uv lamp would work as well for surface mold. But it sounds like it may have penetrated the briar if you removed it and it came back so the only fool proof way is to sterilize it properly, like with ozone. Some pipe makers offer that as part of their restoration services, unless you have an ozone generator. Some people have them for their cpap machines and it would be a good investment for those who can afford it. That's my two sense. Of course you could also buy a 5 dollar cob w no mold and call it a day..

Status
Not open for further replies.