PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gorillafly

Lurker
Feb 20, 2019
Hi guys/gals :)

Coming to you from the city of brotherly love.

I purchased an 8oz tin of Triple Play from Cornell and Diehl. The top three cakes were great, but the bottom cake was really moldy. I contacted them, and they wanted a picture. I gave them that, and they sent a new tin out right away. My question is, can I smoke the other cakes, or is the whole thing bunk? I saved the other cakes in a mason jar. They have been in there for about three months now, and there is no sign of any mold.
Thank you so much for your time.
- J

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Photos, please! Then we can obsess whether it's mold or bloom.
Me, I'd smoke it, but then I am frugal and have never played doctor since I was six.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
From what I understand about mold, if it’s on one cake, it’ll be on the others, whether it’s visible to our eyes or not. If you got a replacement, you’ve lost nothing, so if it were me, I’d toss them all.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I haven't opened a TIN in a long time, and used to buy bulk C&D regularly. No more.

To me, although they seem to be really trying to be the pipe tobacco people in the US, they have been pretty focused on marketing and customer service, all well and good.

I think the manufacturing process is the problem with continued mold issues. WAG, of course, but...

It usually involves red VA, it seems.

Must be why Mclelland's used so much 'vinegar'.

ekert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 26, 2018
Sad how most of us knew who the manufacturer was before we even clicked on the thread.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Seems like the cakes are the ones that primarily have the mold issues. Or am I getting the wrong impression here?
Either way, if it were me, I wouldn't risk it. This is another reason I prefer 2 ounce tins.

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
I agree with the others, toss the whole thing. I do the same with berries and grapes. Not worth the health risk.

gorillafly

Lurker
Feb 20, 2019
Thanks a lot for all of your comments :)

Sorry, I took so long to respond. The wife and I took a trip out of the city to Valley Forge. Amazing trip. We saw all the amazing history of our beautiful country, but I'm back and ready to face the real world.

The date on the tin was August of 2018.

I have a picture, but I am not sure how to post it here. I'll keep trying on that. I want to learn. I like it here (this site) you guys are very informative, and I appreciate that.

I have kept that other cakes in a mason jar. They have been in there for about a month or two. I am using this as an experiment to see if mold does grow after time.

Yes, you are right, it is my health so I will not smoke any.
Thank you everyone. I will keep trying to post a pic.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Postimage; Dropbox, etc. Photobucket), or on virtually any site, including this site's album such as eBay; Amazon Pinterest; Facebook; an online Pipe retailer; you-name-it, select the full sized image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose "copy image location" or similar words. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg or .png) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.
The site's album is also a good choice for displaying photos, and the same method works for obtaining the image's URL for copying into the IMG box.
There are other good illustrations and steps on how to post photos under "Latest Discussions" in different formats:

LINK to that thread

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Absolutely toss the rest. The type of mold that grows on tobacco is particularly toxic.
C&D is committed to using as little anti mold additive as possible. They just haven't figured out what the level is, but at least they make good on their product hen it grows a beard.

gorillafly

Lurker
Feb 20, 2019
I think I got it:
Mold
Or this:
https://ibb.co/YRWX4S8
My concern is, is it in the air in my room now? Can it infect my other tobacco?
Thanks
- J

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
mold.jpg

Yep, no 'plume' about that... Maybe the worst case I've seen on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.