PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
if you keep smoking it wet it will certainly damage the pipe. But it seems like it's a number of factors coming together. Every smoker I've know that smokes their pipe wet many many many times seem to get cracks and other damage. But just letting the wet sit in the pipe won't hurt it in any significant way.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
If you smoke it 15x a day for several years without doing any kind of cleaning, then you might have an issue.

I’ve had estates that were probably smoked like that and the bottom of the bowl is kinda raggedy because someone went mental with a pick.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I very rarely smoke the same pipe twice in the same day, and that seems to be plenty of time to let them dry out. IMO a few days is ideal. You can certainly smoke your pipe more often than that, but in my subjective experience, giving them some rest helps to keep them tasting good and smoking dry. I also stick a pipe cleaner into the stem when I'm done with a smoke and let it stay there for a while as the pipe cools and whatever moisture is in the airway condenses. That way, the cleaner absorbs most of it, and then I take the cleaner out maybe 30 minutes later and put the pipe away.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Water rinse, yes, more and more of us do. But unless you leave a glob of anything damp in the chamber, nothing will grow there. The heat from smoking will generally kill anything that might grow. If dottle is left in a moist environment over time trouble will manifest.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
The moisture will not hurt the pipe. So no worries. The issue, however, is if YOU will enjoy the pipe long term with the moisture. That will depend on a lot of factors....a) how frequently you smoke that pipe (does it have enough time to dry out), b) does the “flavor” of the pipe (and future bowls of tobacco) decrease for YOU due to the moisture (some folks like the change in flavor, some do not).

The good thing is.... you can leave it and see how it goes.... and if you do not LIKE the results, you can change/revert back to the previous enjoyment by cleaning the pipe and then trying a different approach next time.

In a nutshell.... it is all about what gives you the greatest benefit to effort expended ratio.... that will be your sweet spot.