PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Christmas of 2010, my wife gave me two extravagantly large pipes by Mogen Johansen, one I thought was a brandy but learned later from the invoice it was an apple to him, and a pretty magnificent freehand tomahawk with plateau on the brim and shank, probably both Group 6. I've enjoyed these ever since, and have bought others in more medium size -- a Dublin with a jaunty angle to its brim, a diplomat, and a Lovat. Especially these medium sized pipes are noticeably light for their size. All the Johs have given me fine dependable durable service, and I always enjoy taking them down and packing them. Johansen is known for working solo, working at top speed, and selling his pipes for moderate prices. I'm a real admirer. I don't hear or read much about him, though there have been one or two good articles about him, and he seems to keep up the inventory at a number of retail sites and never cranks up his prices out of reach. If this sounds interesting, give his pipes a look. He's pretty successful, but not widely known.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sorry to recycle my own post, but it sunk like a stone, thereby illustrating the point of how little following Johs pipes have on Forums. Does anyone own one? Does anyone have an opinion? Johs are still presence on SP and Iwan Ries, and Al Pascia as well, so they have a following. He was head carver at another Danish pipe brand before going off on his own, so he has a pedigree, as it were.

Reactions: nh_stumpjumper

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Exhuming my own post to mention that I'm smoking a Johs Canadian, an especially lithe version of the shape with a stained briar band effect on the shank against an overall black blast finish. This pipe's a good clench, with plenty of bowl, an ample Group 4. Sometimes the posts that get little response (and I appreciate the Likes here) are as informative as the ones that get 144 posts. I think all Joh's stems are Vulcanite, which I enjoy. Mogen and Nording are my favorite Danish pipe makers, and I think all of Johs are made in Denmark, which is a kind of plus. My blend is the sturdy English C&D blend Stratfordshire I posted on "What Are You Smoking." This is an original post monologue, so forgive my border collie habits.

Reactions: nh_stumpjumper
Status
Not open for further replies.