Modify an Existing Pipe or Have One Custom Made?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

What should I do?

• Buy and mofify both pipes

• Buy and modify the Pete, get the dublin made

• Buy and modify the dublin, get the Pete made

• Get them both custom made

Results are only viewable after voting.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I’m near the endgame of my pipe collection and only want to get a 4 more pipes. Two of them are factory pipes. The other two are pipes that might be out there as factory pipes but I haven't found them yet. I know I could have them custom made but I don't know the pricing on something like that. I also did think that these two could be made from existing factory pipes if they were modified:

1. Stout Bent Billiard

I thought I found a pipe that would appropriately fit this description in the Savinelli La Corta Smooth (616 C):

IMG_2442.JPG

The problem with this when I finally got it in hand was the stummel was too big for the stem or the other way around. It looked a little imbalanced and more like a fatty than a chubby. The bend in the stem was also a little too "sharp" (for lack of a better word) rather than being gradual. (I know I’m being pretty nitpick-y here but you have to understand I’m keeping my pipe collection to 10 or less.)

I also ordered a Peterson XL90 to see if that was stout enough for what I was looking for but it wasn't. The stummel was very nice but the stem was long to give it more elegance than I was looking for.

Since neither of these pipes worked, I thought I would try to imagine the pipe I was looking for by combining parts of the two: the stummel from the Pete and the stem from the Sav. What I found was pretty much the pipe I was looking for:

IMG_2441.JPG

The bend is still a little too sharp on the Sav stem but the proporations are just right. So the question was (and is): do I get a stem custom made to look like this or do I just have a custom pipe made?

2. The Mini Bent Dublin

I’ve loved the Morgan Bones "Stubby 20" Dublin since I first laid eyes on it. The only thing that kept me from buying one was the saddle bit stem. From what I’ve read, the the thin part of the the saddle bit is cut short enough that if you clench it, your lips are touching the fat bit. That sounds really unpleasant. I thought a solution to this would be getting a tapered stem on it, plus I would like the looks better anyway.

1616bfcda56e2483fa46f02791872e04.jpg

These Stubby 20 pipes are now all sold out and the closest thing I can find to this shape are the Molina bent dublins (below), though they’re also hard to come by. I heard the Bones were made from rejected Molinas.

Untitled.jpg

What to do?

So, I’m wondering what I should do: get a custom pipe built to get the looks that I want or get some stems cut for the factory pipes?

I’d also love to hear your suggestion on pipe makers that could either custom make these pipes or do the just the stems.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You have such specificity about what you want, I think you should commission a pipe or two. If budget is a problem, I'd sound around for a young carver who does beautiful work. There are quite a few around, but since I don't do commissions, I'll let others recommend. Meantime, you might find one or more of the pipes you want ready made. Have you looked at Al Fascia's chubby pipes? Worth a look.

Reactions: RonB

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I’m near the endgame of my pipe collection and only want to get a 4 more pipes. Two of them are factory pipes. The other two are pipes that might be out there as factory pipes but I haven't found them yet. I know I could have them custom made but I don't know the pricing on something like that. I also did think that these two could be made from existing factory pipes if they were modified:

1. Stout Bent Billiard

I thought I found a pipe that would appropriately fit this description in the Savinelli La Corta Smooth (616 C):

View attachment 102018

The problem with this when I finally got it in hand was the stummel was too big for the stem or the other way around. It looked a little imbalanced and more like a fatty than a chubby. The bend in the stem was also a little too "sharp" (for lack of a better word) rather than being gradual. (I know I’m being pretty nitpick-y here but you have to understand I’m keeping my pipe collection to 10 or less.)

I also ordered a Peterson XL90 to see if that was stout enough for what I was looking for but it wasn't. The stummel was very nice but the stem was long to give it more elegance than I was looking for.

Since neither of these pipes worked, I thought I would try to imagine the pipe I was looking for by combining parts of the two: the stummel from the Pete and the stem from the Sav. What I found was pretty much the pipe I was looking for:

View attachment 102021

The bend is still a little too sharp on the Sav stem but the proporations are just right. So the question was (and is): do I get a stem custom made to look like this or do I just have a custom pipe made?

2. The Mini Bent Dublin

I’ve loved the Morgan Bones "Stubby 20" Dublin since I first laid eyes on it. The only thing that kept me from buying one was the saddle bit stem. From what I’ve read, the the thin part of the the saddle bit is cut short enough that if you clench it, your lips are touching the fat bit. That sounds really unpleasant. I thought a solution to this would be getting a tapered stem on it, plus I would like the looks better anyway.

View attachment 102024

These Stubby 20 pipes are now all sold out and the closest thing I can find to this shape are the Molina bent dublins (below), though they’re also hard to come by. I heard the Bones were made from rejected Molinas.

View attachment 102026

What to do?

So, I’m wondering what I should do: get a custom pipe built to get the looks that I want or get some stems cut for the factory pipes?

I’d also love to hear your suggestion on pipe makers that could either custom make these pipes or do the just the stems.
getting stems cut will be cheaper.
where are you in the world then maybe we can give suggestions on stem makers etc

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
You have such specificity about what you want, I think you should commission a pipe or two. If budget is a problem, I'd sound around for a young carver who does beautiful work. There are quite a few around, but since I don't do commissions, I'll let others recommend. Meantime, you might find one or more of the pipes you want ready made. Have you looked at Al Fascia's chubby pipes? Worth a look.
Thanks for the suggestion. I couldn't find anything about Al Fascia pipes online.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I have both Pete XL90 and Sav 616. I love them for the look of their hefty bowls.

But you're quite correct - the stems do not look 100% correct on either.

I have my OCD in check (somewhat) :rolleyes: and am willing to accept that few things in the world are perfect. Excluding myself, of course rotf

I do think your better option is to get a custom pipe.
A couple years ago I got a Stanwell pipe re-stemmed by The Danish Pipe Shop. I was pretty specific about my wishes. The pipe came back exactly as I had pictured.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: AroEnglish

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I have both Pete XL90 and Sav 616. I love them for the look of their hefty bowls.

But you're quite correct - the stems do not look 100% correct on either.

I have my OCD in check (somewhat) :rolleyes: and am willing to accept that few things in the world are perfect. Excluding myself, of course rotf

I do think your better option is to get a custom pipe.
A couple years ago I got a Stanwell pipe re-stemmed by The Danish Pipe Shop. I was pretty specific about my wishes. The pipe came back exactly as I had pictured.
I guess I should see what the price differences are between a custom vs. buying a new factory pipe and getting the stem done.

I do really like the XL90 for both size and shape so your comment about the DPS makes me think I could just get a stem made for that. Maybe order an xL90 with a P-lip (never tried one before) and then get a shorter fishtail stem for it.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
If I were in your shoes, and especially wanting to keep below 10 pipes, I would seriously consider getting both made by an artisan. The shapes are similar enough, and yet different, that you could have a nice pair. Unless you find the stummels as estates, I don’t think the difference in price between buying 2 new pipes and then getting stems cut for them is enough to justify not going with an artisan. If it is, just get one pipe made and save up for another 5 years ✌?

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
If I were in your shoes, and especially wanting to keep below 10 pipes, I would seriously consider getting both made by an artisan. The shapes are similar enough, and yet different, that you could have a nice pair. Unless you find the stummels as estates, I don’t think the difference in price between buying 2 new pipes and then getting stems cut for them is enough to justify not going with an artisan. If it is, just get one pipe made and save up for another 5 years ✌?
Yeah it seems like the consensus is to go artisan made. I've heard a lot about the off-centered drilling on bent Petersons and a custom stem for the Bones/Molina might cost more than the pipe brand new.

Any suggestions for how to find an artisan that would be interested in these commissions?

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I’m not super familiar with what artisans there are compared to most of the other forum members. Maybe think of a price range you would be willing to spend on one (or both) commissions and then ask for any recommendations. Check out their respective portfolios and go with who catches your attention. I doubt there would be a bad choice. I would love to get a pipe commissioned sometime, it sounds like a cool experience. As a side note, I got this for about $60us from eBay as an estate. Stuff is out there if you are willing to play the waiting game

FDDD4BD5-5449-41B6-8A5F-D2D0C53661DE.jpeg

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I’m not super familiar with what artisans there are compared to most of the other forum members. Maybe think of a price range you would be willing to spend on one (or both) commissions and then ask for any recommendations. Check out their respective portfolios and go with who catches your attention. I doubt there would be a bad choice. I would love to get a pipe commissioned sometime, it sounds like a cool experience. As a side note, I got this for about $60us from eBay as an estate. Stuff is out there if you are willing to play the waiting game

View attachment 102487
That sounds like a good way to go about getting one made.

What pipe is that? That's a great looking shape!