PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I go for 180-200 on the smoker. Too high and you could start melting the fat so the goal is to get it to temp of 155 but maintain the integrity. I used to have a tough time keeping it so low in a side burner but I moved to a Weber Smokey Mountain last year and have hit the numbers even better.

Times vary, usually 4-6 hours depending on thickness. Believe it or not, Costco has pretty good pork bellies though sometimes they can be thin. I mix it up between them and a local butcher when I want something a bit thicker though theirs comes with the skin still on. The downside is remember to cut off the skin before you cure, but the benefit is you can control that top fat layer to your preference of thickness. Something to think about.
Awesome, thank you. I'll be smoking some bellies soon.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I smoke to an internal temp of 152. I've even read 150 is ok. You can reduce the saltiness by using less salt during the cure, curing only 8 days, not 10, and soaking in water after curing. I use the cure calculator on the Digging Dog Farm website. It lets you change the percentage of salt and sugar in your cure.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Yeah, I have pulled it at 151 before because it was getting late, but I don’t make a habit of it. I usually give away at least half of what I make to friends and family, so I go to 155 for peace of mind. I didn’t notice any quantifiable difference between the few degrees personally, so safety wins for me.

Reactions: romaso

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Yeah, I have pulled it at 151 before because it was getting late, but I don’t make a habit of it. I usually give away at least half of what I make to friends and family, so I go to 155 for peace of mind. I didn’t notice any quantifiable difference between the few degrees personally, so safety wins for me.
That's a good call. I also let mine sit two or three days in the fridge before eating to let it settle. I do that when I make sausage too and I think it helps with the flavor.